"it feels like christmas"

"Do I have a motion for reconsideration?"

I looked around the table at the board members and shook my head at the silence. Standing around me were the Ducks and Coach Orion, along with the Varsity team who stood across the room. It was only a day after we had been told our scholarships were being revoked and a meeting had already started. I guess we were urgently wanted out.

"I'm sorry Coach but unless there is a motion from a member, and a second, the decision must stand." the Dean sighed and looked at Orion.

My gaze shifted to my old teammates, the Varsity, who grinned and whispered to each other. Man, I hated them.

Orion clasped his hands together and a small smile appeared on his face. "You leave us no choice but to bring in our attorney."

The double doors opened and everyone looked to see none other then Coach Bombay. He looked slick in his suit and I could tell his years in Law school were about to be used to our advantage.

"Dean Buckley, members of the board." Bombay began as he made his way towards the front of the room, "As counsel for Coach Orion and the freshman hockey team, I'm here today to set forth your legal options, so that you may make the best possible decision for all parties concerned." he stopped next to the podium and the Dean looked at him, slightly annoyed.

"Mr. Bombay, this isn't a legal proceeding."

Coach shook his head. "Not yet, but I assure you it will be. Do you mind?" He handed his briefcase to Dean Buckley and pulled a file from it. He began to walk around the room, waving our scholarship contracts in his hand. "These scholarships, an offer, became a binding contract upon the signatures of the recipients and acceptance by the Ducks. They cannot be voided except for cause which, I guarantee you, you have none. Should you decide to pursue their cancellation, I will slap you with an injunction. I will tie this matter up in court for years, until long after these kids have gone on to college. And I will collect damages. I will win. Because I am very, very good."

I laughed at that, even though it was true.

Coach Bombay continued to walk around and I could see the board members shifting uncomfortably in their seats as he did so. "You know why I'm so good? Because I had a good education. You gave it to me. And you're gonna give it to these kids."

Orion leaned over and whispered in my ear, "He is good."

I smiled. "Just getting started."

"Now some of you may be snobbish enough to believe that these Ducks don't belong at Eden Hall. Let me tell you,you are dead wrong."

I shot a smirk over to the Varsity team.

"These are remarkable young people. You give them their full shot, and I promise you they will succeed. Not only on the ice, but in the classrooms as well. These people are my friends, and I know what they can do." By now, Bombay had made it back to the front of the room and paced in front of the table of board members. "Accordingly, I demand that you reinstate their scholarships, for their benefit and for your own."

There was a long moment of silence and we all looked around at one another, nervous for what would happen next.

"I move that the scholarships... be reinstated." An older women in a red sweater, hesitantly said.

"Is there a second?"

Another board member sighed and raised his hand up. 

I smiled at Connie who squeezed my hand.

"All in favor?"

Slowly everyone at the table held their hands up.

"Scholarships reinstated." the Dean told us.