Prologue

Prologue:

Age 18

          I entered the court with a timid look on my face. Everyone starred at me as I walked with my lawyer to my seat in the front of the narrow room. As I walked I scanned the room looking for familiar faces. Only my brother was here. But then again, what other family do I have?

          I reached my chair, patted my pale blue pencil skirt, and sat down slowly. My lawyer sat right by my side and set her shiny, brown brief case on our table. I looked around the court with nervousness in my eyes. I noticed oak wood lined the pure white walls. The floor was a thin, chestnut color carpet. The judge sat behind a desk made of oak. I have to say, it looked pretty elegant.

          I looked over across the room, to find my dad. He sat in his chair slouched, with his hands chained together. His bright orange jumpsuit was distracting.  He turned his head and his eye met mine. I dropped my gaze and looked at my feet.

         When will the trial start? I just want to get this over with! I thought to myself. I closed my eyes and dazed off. What will happen to me?

          I woke suddenly from the three hits of the gavel against the desk followed by the judge yelling.

         "Attention! Everyone! The trial is about to start!" The judge said in a deep, croaky voice. It sounded like he needed to clear his throat. His black robe seemed to be a little tight on his plump body, but his sleeves were a bit long. His face was round and very pale, and his dull gray eyes were small. Thin, red hair barely covered the top of his head.

          My throat started to feel dry. My mouth was sticky and had an awful taste in my mouth, it tasted like blood and metal. Was this because I'm nervous? The room fell silent as he began to speak.

          "Today we will be issuing case number 4D09-93H3-JD, in the matter of Emerald Moore and Ray Moore. Present here today is both defendants and their attorneys." He paused a looked up slightly at me, then over to my dad. He continues, "Alright. Lets begin. Ray Moore, you may begin telling me what happened."

          My dad stands slowly, and begins,

          "Thank you, Mister Judge." He looked up at the judge with a smirk on his face. The judge stares at him and wait for him to continue. "Okay. I was just hanging with my boys just planning our weekend, and Emerald was eavesdropping! So she ran and told the cops what we were planning! What a little spoiled brat. I got her everything she ever-" I cut him off.

           "You threatened to kill me when I was five!" I protested as I flung out of my chair and pointed my index finger at my father. I started to breathe hard and it felt like my heart was about to pound out of my chest. I felt hands put pressure on my shoulders by my lawyer, forcing me to sit back down.

          "Miss Moore, please sit. I asked Ray to speak." The judge said in a calming voice, holding up his hand signing me to sit and be quiet.

          "Now. Ray, what were you planning on doing that weekend?" The judge questions, while straightening some papers on his desk.

          "Well, you know. Just what guys do on their weekend. We were gonna go out for a drink, hook up with some ladies, and play pool-" I cut him off again.

          "Liar!" I scream with vehemence in my voice. I shoot back up out of my chair. I slap both hands on the table. Again I feel my lawyer pushing me back down into my seat.

         "Miss Moore! You need to stay seated and silent until I ask you to speak." The judge explains in a stern voice. He speaks again, "Pattie White, do you have any counter argument?"

          "Yes, Sir. I do." My lawyer stands up and pulls on the bottom of her gray shirt to straighten the wrinkles.

         "Don't worry. We will win." She whispers to me. She winks at me and I suddenly feel relief. I can trust her.