Part 19

Draco scratched the back of his neck. The itch did not fade but spread down his back as he blearily opened his eye. And then closed them again. It was Granger and Weasley coming up the tower.

"Why is it your friends have absolutely no decorum?" Draco muttered.

"Uhhn..." Potter sighed, still entirely asleep.

Draco envied him.

"Hello? Anyone here?" Granger called.

"Yes," Draco said, not bothering to raise his voice. He had the rather unlikely hope they wouldn't hear him and go away.

They heard him.

"Um, should we come up or wait-?" Granger said tentatively.

"Fuck if I care," Draco said. He hadn't moved and wasn't intending too until absolutely necessary.

The footsteps came about halfway up the stairs before stopping abruptly with a squeak of surprise from Granger, "I- I should have a-asked if you were decent."

"Huh?" Potter frowned, his forehead crinkled in the daze of just waking.

"Even if we weren't decent, which we are, the blankets would cover everything," Draco said, "Are all you Gryffindor's such prudes?"

"Nah, just don't want to see your pasty arse," Weasley said cheerfully, guiding Granger up the rest of the steps, "You sure you aren't half ghost, Malfoy? You were pale enough before, now you'd disappear in a snowstorm."

"Says the one whose only colour comes from what looks like specks of dirt on his skin," Draco said.

"Hey!" Weasley protested.

Potter finally showed he was awake by putting his hand over Draco's mouth. "Don't mind Malfoy, he's prickly in the morning."

Draco tried to bite his finger, but Potter pulled away too quickly.

"You fucking talk to them then," Draco snapped, grabbing the comforter and pulling it over his head.

"Prickly is right," Weasley said.

"You lay off as well," Potter said, sitting up and pulling the blankets down again, and putting on his glasses.

Draco rolled his eyes.

"It was just some good-natured teasing," Weasley said.

"Maybe you ought to save the 'good-natured teasing' for when you actually get along first," Potter said.

"Yeah, fine," Weasley said, a bit more subdued.

Granger loudly cleared her throat, "Harry, we're sorry to have bothered, you but this couldn't wait."

Potter nodded.

"The auror's showed up this morning," Weasley said, "Like, all of them."

"They're-"

"Actually doing something? Yes," Granger said, "They're going to sweep through the forbidden forest this afternoon to try and flush the werewolf out. They have a hit-wizard team waiting in the east, away from the town and the school, to- to put it out of its misery."

"Any seventh and eighth years can join, two students and an auror per group. They've been drilling the students in the great hall on all sorts of spells since breakfast," Weasley said.

"What? What time is it now? Are you going?" Potter asked.

Weasley and Granger looked at one another, exchanging a complicated look before turning back to Potter.