2:4

<><><>Adelaide's POV<><><>

This is the most awkward thing in the world. Gale's sitting as far away from me as he can without making it too obvious. Well, kind of. He's almost falling off his chair from how far he's trying to get from me. I guess I understand. I wouldn't be too comfortable around me, either. He's sitting with his chin resting in his hand once more, his eyes scrolling across the script, his lips moving in unison with the words he's reading. I can't help but occasionally glance over to him. He's very handsome. Like, very. I don't know. This sounds really cliche. The boy hates me. Gale has tan skin, dark hair, and sharp green eyes. I, on the other hand, have pale skin, long brown hair and dark brown eyes.

His eyes flicker over to mine, and he catches me staring. He furrows his brows slightly, creasing the bridge of his nose. His lips purse, turning his head away from me.

Heat rises up my neck and into my cheeks. "So, erm. . ." I start, cringing slightly as my voice cracks, "we should start practicing?" I twist my hands anxiously, avoiding his gaze.

Gale, once again, shrugs. "I guess." He says sharply, and I flinch. He gazes at me for a moment before sighing slightly through his nose and raking a hand through his dark locks. His eyes are now back on the palm of his hand, making a point to not give me anymore attention.

While we read, we're both stiff and uncomfortable. His voice is monotone, mine too soft. Gale stands about fifteen feet away from me, practically yelling for me to hear him.

"Well." I finally say, shutting the script as Gale shoves his script in his backpack rather violently. I cringe at the thought of the crumpled paper.

He meets my eyes and looks at me, his jaw working. Looking away at last with a slight frown, he throws his backpack over his shoulder and starts walking. Then he abruptly stops. He turns to me, hesitation painted over his face. He opens his mouth, closes it, then opens it again. A vein in his jaw ticks, as if something is holding his tongue, pressing it down, making sure he can't voice whatever he wanted to.

I watch him nervously, and part of me knows what he's about to ask.

Gale finally lets words spill over his lips, "why?" He asks quietly, sadness melting in his eyes.

My breath hitches in my throat. I shuffle my feet, scuffing the top of them on the tile floor below. "I honestly don't know," I look up, take a deep breath, and say the words that have been racing in my mind. "I am so sorry. I never knew Seven would. . . Anyways. It's completely my fault that he's gone. I've been living with the guilt and I can't help but feel responsible. That I deserve this guilt. I cannot imagine how you must feel about me, or the situation, but I know it's probably full of resentment," Tears tumble out of my eyes, "and I must let you know, from the bottom of my heart, that I am truly sorry. I am so sorry Gale. Forgive me, please?"

Gale stares at me, his eyes laced with anger. . . and. . . guilt? He looks away, rubbing his neck. "Look, Adelaide." He makes a sour face while using my name. But I don't care. He's at least being somewhat civil. And that makes me feel a tiny bit better. Though not enough to make me feel less guilty. "I know that I have been complete. . . dirtbag to you, to say the least." He makes an amused expression, but only for a second. My lips lift up a little.

"And I would be lying if I said you didn't deserve what I did to you. I guess what I'm trying to say is. . ." He searches for his words, hesitation never leaving his face. "But Seven wouldn't want this. No matter what you did to him." Pain fills his eyes and his bottom lip quiver. "I don't forgive you, and if ever did it would take a long time." He looks up at me, ever so slightly. He sighs and grits his teeth. "I'll try to be. . . nicer? I guess. . ." His eyes are fixed on his shoes.

My heart soars. A giggle slips past my lips. Tears slip out of my eyes. I'm an emotional wreck. I can't express enough how much his words mean to me. I never thought. . . not after what happened this morning, that we'd be talking to each other like normal people. And honestly? It feels really good.

Gale whips his head up, a strange expression on his face. "Are you. . .?" He asks, looking bitter and hesitant while saying it. It's probably going to take a while for him to get used to saying words that aren't threats to me.

I grin up at him, tears still falling freely from my eyes. "Very. I never thought that we'd be talking like this."

Gale bites his lip. "Me neither." He mutters, "never. . ." He clears his throat and grips the strap of his backpack. "I have to go." He turns on his heel.

"Bye, Gale." I whisper, suddenly very embarrassed over my outbreak of emotions. My face is on fire and I mentally facepalm. Why would I cry then smile at him? He probably hates me again.

Gale turns his head only a bit. He evidently heard my farewell, and I see his jaw work for a moment, lips taught. He doesn't say anything, though, and heads out of the classroom.

But that's okay. It's to be expected, after all.

-----
Photo is not mine, btw.

Weird! 2 Adelaide's POV in row? IDK I just thought that this chapter written from Adelaide's POV would make more sense, and keep Gale's emotions sort of hidden, I guess? They'll be revealed later, of course.

Anyways, they made some progress!
Thanks for 500+ views! Stay healthy and happy :)
-Luna