4:1

<><><>Gale's POV<><><>

I sink in the seat of my car, burying my head in my hands. "What was I thinking!?" I hiss, furrowing my brows. "Trying to forgive her? How could I?"

I start the engine of my car, and drive hastily away, not glancing back. I drive silently to my house, the only sounds present are the chirp of crickets, the rush of cars, and the hum of my broken radio.

Alone with my thoughts, I try to push them into a box in the back of my mind. The new flurry of feelings for Adelaide. . . I gulp, a bittersweet taste tingling my mouth. "No." I whisper, smacking my fist against the dashboard of my car. Pins and needles rip through my hand. I cradle it, cursing like a sailor, and park my car in the driveway of my house. I carefully slip out of my car, my wounds still aching.

My heart leaps in my throat as I see a familiar silver SUV parked in my driveway. I race into the house. "Mom!?" I shout, disbelief lacing my voice.

"Gale?" I hear a soft voice respond, and my mother appears from the kitchen. Her tidy black hair is wrapped in a bun and her tanned olive face looks exhausted, but her baby blue eyes dance with youth. "My love!" She races towards me, wrapping her arms around me. She's significantly shorter than me, so I have to bend my knees slightly to return her hug. Warmth envelops me, and I feel my heart relax. I'm alright, because my mom is here.

She steps back from me, biting her cheeks. Her gaze washes over me, and she frowns, a gasp escaping from her lips. "Gale, my baby, what happened?" She asks, cradling one shaking hand against her mouth, the other stroking my cheek. I wince, and she retracts her hand quickly, this time clutching my own hand.

"I-I um. . ." I scratch my neck. She's not going to like what I tell her. Instead of badgering the question again, she brushes a thumb against my bruised cheekbone. It doesn't hurt, and I feel myself leaning into her touch.

"It's alright, my son." Mom says calmly, nodding her head and closing her eyes. "I understand that some wounds need to heal." She looks me in the eyes, sorrow filling them. I know what she means. I nod my head, and pull my coat off, hanging it on the coat rack. I slip my shoes off and my mom and I shuffle into the kitchen.

I sit down at the table, and start to chop the vegetables that are settled on top of the cutting board.

"Where's Dad?" I ask, and Mom turns her head towards me. "On a business trip in the outer banks of Mexico." I nod my head, then let it lower. "Is he going to be back soon?"

Mom's shoulders slump. She continues to stir the soup she's making. "I don't know," she sighs, setting her hands on her hips. "He loves you very much, Gale." She mutters, turning to me.

I nod my head, and suddenly it's hard to gulp. I haven't seen my dad in forever, and my mom doesn't even know when he's going to be back. "I love him too," I whisper, setting the knife down and grabbing the chopped vegetables. I pour them in the soup, and mom smiles gratefully at me. She reaches up to ruffle my hair, standing on her tip toes.

I return her smile and sit back down at the table, and rest my chin on top of my crossed arms.

"He loves both of you." Mom says in a hushed tone, and I feel my heart tighten.

He loves Seven and I, and it broke him to lose a son. It broke mom too. It broke me. I lost my brother. My best friend.

I close my eyes, and let my thoughts consume me once more.

---

So we met Gale's mom!

Sorry for the shortish chapter, I have a lot of school work ._.

Thanks for reading! Stay happy and healthy!

X X

Luna