Chapter 7 | Paranoid and Nostalgic

Nostalgia.

It's delicate, but potent.

In Greek, "Nostalgia"

Literally means "the pain of an old wound".

It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful

Than a memory alone -

A feeling of a place where we ache to go again.

-Unknown

~~

I felt that after three hours of consistent video-gaming, that I needed to go outside. It seemed I was pretty good at the Sonic games and the Mario Kart too, I mean, Ben seemed pretty pissed when he held a long losing streak in those elements.

When it came to Call Of Duty and Black Ops however, I was pretty shit. I couldn't stand the xBox controller. It was too confusing.

I decided to leave Ben to his gaming and go visit check on the horses. I had changed out of my pyjamas and slipped on a black hoodie and jeans for the walk.

It took me only ten minutes to reach the small farm just outside the suburban area. I felt a warm glow in my heart as I slipped through the wooden fence into the paddock. The horses noticed straight away of my presence due to Faith's protective look out of the small herd they had.

They pause and stare at me until I pushed my hood back and let out the whistle to let them know it was okay to greet me. So without hesitating this time, they begin to canter over to me as I start to walk towards them also.

Jester was the first to reach me, digging his nose into my stomach and wiggling his lips playfully. I giggle slightly as it was an adorable gesture from him, and it tickled me.

"Hey Jess." I coo as I ruffle his forelock resulting in the coloured horse to sigh heavily in pleasure.

After I say hello to the horses, I pull Miracle out of the group separately to begin a slight refresh session. As she was the youngest of the group, she was likely to forget the tricks I'd taught her for the show.

I felt a strange feeling however.

I felt I was being watched.

Shaking off this, I decide instead of retraining her in six months time, I thought it'd be more beneficial if I kept slight memory for her on what to do.

"You ready doll face?" I ask her by her nickname in a babyish voice and laughing when she tilts her head slightly in confusion to the change of tone.

I click my tongue and pat my thigh as I start to walk away from the herd. Miracle realises the signal and trots to catch up to my side like I asked. She was growing fast, seeing as she was just old enough to be considered an adult now, but she seemed to have a late growth spurt.

So as I looked over to see the glossy cream coat of Miracle, I noticed how it glistened and shone in the daylight when her lanky body moved. Her muscles were only just started to show, so she wasn't at her prime yet.

She slowed to a sharp walking stride beside me and lowered her head to the point where it lines up with my shoulders.

We walked to a small flat patch of the paddock that overlooked the fence which separated the road and the paddock, giving us a good view of passing cars.

If someone is watching me, I'll be able to see them.

Grow up, as if someone would be following you.

I tugged my hood back over my head as the clouds darkened ever so slightly, letting a very light drizzle of rain cascade from the skies.

I stand in front of the eager filly, looking her dead in the eyes. I give her a hand signal, motioning two fingers to my eyes and then to hers.