6.

TWISTED FATE
06; CAN'T CATCH A BREAK

                                          IF THERE WAS ONE THING THAT EDEN THAWNE would admit to being terrible at, it would be avoiding her own brother. He hadn't left her side in days and it was growing annoyingly frustrating trying to avoid him.

She had tried everything she could think of: sneaking out of his apartment, a bust because he had an alarm she didn't know was installed by the door; she tried running away from him when the duo went for a coffee run Saturday morning, but unfortunately he had his arm wrapped around her own. She even tried setting up a one-on-one lunch date with Iris on one of the days she wasn't working at Jitters and yet again her brother was right there making Eden the third wheel on what had turned to a date between the couple.

She didn't blame him, she understood where he was coming from. He constantly had to make sure she was okay, that she wasn't dealing badly with the information he had given her, or maybe he was making sure that she didn't get kidnapped again, or he probably wanted to catch up. Whatever the reason was, she understood. But she was getting tired of waking up in the morning and seeing Eddie's face. She needed a major break from him and his overbearing nature was going to make her pull her hair out.

And it probably didn't help that he had gotten her an interview at the station for an assistant job to one Barry Allen. Which meant she would have to constantly see her brother everyday even if she didn't want to. So she had done the one thing she had never done in an interview: behave rudely and act like she didn't care. Don't get her wrong, she needed a job, but a job as far away from Eddie as she could get which was probably a horrible thing to say, but that's how badly she needed her space.

Unfortunately, Captain Singh hadn't minded her attitude at that moment, in fact, he seemed quite pleased. He had admired her college degree and work ethic that presented itself on paper, another thought crossing his mind that she was a little too qualified for her position. His exact words were: "As long as you keep Mister Allen in check, make sure he arrives on time and keep his filthy office clean, I don't care how what you do. Just be god at your job, keep that attitude to yourself and we will be fine."

And that's how Eden found herself at a crime scene that morning, a briefcase hung over one shoulder, a camera around her neck and two cups of coffee in both hands. However, one thing was missing, rather one person, and it was none other than Barry Allen. A person she sort of had a love-hate relationship with and who, technically, was her boss. She sighed in defeat and clear frustration. She was already failing at one of the tasks the Captain had given her on her first day.

"Sorry I'm late!" She heard him exclaim as he ran towards her giving her an embarrassed smile when she had presented him with a harsh glare.

When she had called him the night before, telling him she would be working with him and all the rules that came with working with him (emphasising being late), all she heard on the other line was dead silence. It was obvious he knew he would be getting an assistant, he was merely shocked at the fact that it would be her. At that point Eden hadn't even been fazed. She dropped the call straight after.

"Just take your damn camera, and your briefcase and get to work." She muttered through gritted teeth, her forehead creased in anger but her mouth forming a smile. Barry nodded, quickly and gently taking the items away from her.

"Thanks, but I already had coffee this morning." Barry said pointing to the two cups in her hands.

This time she had given him a blank look and stated simply, "These are for me." He nodded in haste and immediately bolted towards the charred ground and dead body in front of him, also known as the crime scene they, including Eddie, were investigating.