10.

TWISTED FATE.
10; REMNANT OF THE PAST

Heavy breaths, sweating and an already futile attempt at remembering an abrupt-awakening nightmare.

Mornings like this one were not very far from common for Eden Thawne.

From the moment Eden opened her eyes with ten years of memory stripped from her mind, she infrequently rose from deep sleep, in cold sweats. For years, she woke with a scream lodged in her throat, she could hear her heart thunder against her chest, and her lungs grasped for air from the nightmare that had taken over her mind; a nightmare she could not always remember. The ones she did recall usually associated with a dark open road.

She never understood where they originated from, or why the open road was so significant that it manifested in her mind throughout the years. All she understood was that the nightmares she did not remember were most likely memories from the ten years that were lost to her. This nightmare was the first in months, the first since she arrived in the city and now, she knew it was not because of a 'bad fall' like her parents and Eddie had told her. Something happened fourteen years ago that was apparently so traumatic, she unconsciously refused to remember.

But with how intense they were getting, and how much they weighed on her, she did not go looking for answers. Even when she should have been. Eden did not exactly have any leads. With what little resources she did have, which was only consisted of the internet and her laptop, her trail for her origins went cold.

Even with the pounding sensation in her head, she was rational enough to realize that going to Eddie, and hearing how she was wrong for not asking him for help in the first place, would later make her day filled with 'I told you so'.

That was not exactly on her to do list.

And telling him about her nightmares...out of the question. All he would do was get worried. More than he already was. As far as he was concerned, they ended years ago.

Eden had every right to turn her frustrations on Eddie, but she could not exactly blame him for what their parents forced him to withhold.

Never mind that her nightmares had overwhelmed her yet again, but her morning was only proving to be a disastrous one. So much occurred in the hour before she walked out of her front door: the usually decent warm water that ran down her shower was the opposite, a trail of icicles fell down her back; her hair was knotted in various sections that at that point it felt like a group of rodents lived in it. Then came the sunken, overly exhausted expression that fell on her face.

In other words, her appearance was not pleasant, and she could have honestly tried harder to look appealing.

The morning worsened when her coffee machine, that was not technically hers but rather her former roommate in Keystone that she may or may not have taken without permission, seized working altogether. Now, she was forced to show her miserable face in a café that on a daily harboured dozens of people. Something she clearly did not want to do but without that coffee, she wasnt sure how she was going to get through the day.

Her unflattering demeanour did not go unnoticed by both Iris and Barry, who were previously in what Barry perceived as an unnecessary conversation about Iriss three list. The duo stared with bewildered eyes at the blonde who did not even bother to cover her tired eyes evident under the glasses she rarely wore. Her attire was an entirely different conversation that only displayed how out of it she was.

She was too tired to make herself look even the least bit presentable.

"Oh, sweetie." Iris begun, walking towards her with her arms opened, pulling the slightly taller woman into her embrace. "What happened to you? You look like you've been run over by...everything." Her tone sounded humorous, not usually accustomed to seeing Eden in that manner.