Prompt (most likely for a plain old fanfic, no crossovers)

(the moment you realize how sad Doctor Who is... ;-;)

(if you're using a fan Doctor or Thirteen, just change the pronouns to 'she' and 'her')

The rain drenched everything around him. The grass was wet, and soggy. An eerie stillness enveloped London, coated in fog thick as... well... Mr. Thick Thickity-Thickface from Thick Town Thickania. Not that that mattered. 

Well, another companion down, how many more to go? 

"How many Claras, Doctor?"

He quietly stepped back into the TARDIS, the warmth and protection from the rain wrapping around him like a cozy blanket. It felt a little better. 

There was a sound, like someone tugging on a door. The Doctor's head shot up toward the source of the soft creaking noise. The tugging sound continued for a moment longer, then stopped. There was a long pause, as if someone was doing something quietly, or perhaps wondering what to do next. 

There was a tug, harder than before, and the sound of a door swinging open. The little phone box, the one that rang sometimes when Missy or Clara called, was opened. Frantic fingers dashed across the numbers, and a hushed voice whispered something, barely audible, quivering; 

"They're back." 

The Doctor walked up closer to the door, close enough so that he could hear what the person was saying, but not close enough that they would sense his presence or see movement through the windows. 

"Why doesn't this phone work?" the voice hissed angrily, kicking the box, and the TARDIS shuddered in disagreement. There was another silence, dragging out much longer than a silence should drag out. 

There was a clicking sound, as if the person was trying to unlock the door with a paper clip. The Doctor chuckled quietly. Nothing could get through that door, let alone a small piece of metal-

The door swung open, revealing a panting, wet child, clothes drenched and eyes shining in awe. 

"It's... it's..." 

"Bigger on the inside," the Doctor finished the sentence, finally realizing the gravity of that statement, the feeling of awe that one always gets when they first enter the TARDIS, something he hadn't felt in a long, long time. 

The child jumped back, putting up his hands in a kung-fu stance sort of way. 

"Who are you?" he asked, not moving. 

"The Doctor." 

"Doctor who?" 

The Doctor instead made a pleased sound. The child had a confused look, and relaxed ever so slightly. 

"I'm Carol," the boy said instead, glancing at the open door. "We should close that." 

(change the name if you like; I honestly think it's cool)

"Carol?" the Doctor echoed. 

"Yeah," Carol reached to close the door, but it swung shut on it's own and he leapt back. "What is this place?" 

"This is the TARDIS. Time And Relative Dimensions In Space." 

"So technically it's own dimension," Carol smiled. 

"Basically," the Doctor confirmed. "What were you talking about, 'they're back'?" 

The boy's face turned grave and he looked away.

"The things. You know, the things from my nightmares. From everyone's nightmares." 

"Nightmares?" the Doctor asked. "Ooh, this should be interesting." 

"With the flashing lights when they talk," Carol said. "I guess they look sort of like tanks, or disco balls. Or both. More like both." 

The Doctor's world suddenly dissolved. 

"They killed everyone. I barely escaped with my life. They killed my sister, my mother, my father." 

No, no, please no. 

Carol looked with pleading eyes at the Doctor. 

"We need to get out of here. They say-" 

"EXTERMINATEEE!"