Chapter 12

Cole's POV ( Last day of school )

Why?

Why did they do this do me?

They said that they were going to be there for me.

They lied.

Now i'm alone.

My only family left is dad, but he doesn't deserve that title anymore.

And even if he did, i don't know his address, i don't even know what state he lives in.

He could be in Timbuktu as far as i know. Or care.

Ugh, school starts in 15 minutes.

At least today's the last day.

Then i'll be free for the summer.

I take that back, i'm probably going to have to get a job because they left me with nothing except for the house.

Who's even going to hire a fourteen year old who's never had a job before and isn't good at anything?

No one.

Schools only a five minute walk away but i always like to be early for some reason.

While i'm heading to my locker i pass by Sarah and Nova, the annoying girls who love to gossip, i can't help but overhear some of their conversation.

" Wait, she's moving here?"

" Yea, i literally just said that"

" And she adopted a girl from New York?"

" And the girls going to go to school here."

" OMG, now i can't wait for school to start."

" I know right?"

Who are they talking about? Why is this one girl different from the other kids that come to this school?

" I can't believe it! The Catherine Brown and her daughter are coming here!"

" I know right? Were gonna be best friends with her daughter, i mean, were popular, rich, and have great fashion sense, and if we become her friend then we'll get to go to parties with her and meet celebrities!"

" She will see how amazing we are and come begging for us to be her friend."

" Yea, and she probably has a whole bunch of designer clothes that we can borrow!"

Oh great, another spoiled girl who probably hasn't worked a day in her life and has everything handed to her on a silver- no GOLDEN platter.

That's exactly what this school needs, another spoiled girl.

They did say she was adopted. I wonder what happened to her parents.

She probably wasn't actually adopted, i bet her parents just paid Catherine Brown to adopt her.

Her parents are probably fine, sitting on some New York penthouse balcony after their 5-course meal prepared by a personal chef.

Or maybe, something did happen to her parents and she was adopted legitimately.

Probably not.

My thoughts are interrupted when the warning bell rings.

Only one more day and then i don't have to come back here for three months.

I have math for first period.

I don't like math because it makes absolutely zero sense and you never even use most of the stuff they teach you.

I get why you need to know basic math, but the other day when Ryan asked the teacher how you could use what we were learning in the real world she said that you couldn't.

When even the teacher says that it's useless, i don't think you should have to learn it.

~~~~~~~~~~~

School was pretty boring, i think that everyone was just glad that it was over for the summer.

Yea, we cleaned out our lockers and the teachers told us to have a nice summer, but other then that it was pretty much like a normal school day.

While i'm walking home i see a few signs for cafes and stores looking for cashiers and waiters but i don't think that i could really do that kind of job.

Probably because i'm not that social and i doubt that customers would like me.

When i'm about a minute away from my house, a certain flyer catches my eye.

~~~~~~~~

Barn help needed!

Starting at 13$ per hour

- Must get along with horses.

- Must have an open schedule

- Must try there best

- Must accept everyone for being themselves

Full time job

Please contact Catherine for more information

Phone : ( 213) ###-####

Email: CatherineB@gmail.com 

~~~~~~~~~

That might work, I've always kind of liked horses.

Plus, i rather be in a barn around animals then in a small store with a bunch of other people.

I pull out my phone and take a picture of the flyer.

I'll call them when i get home.

I wonder if there's any other people that i have to work with.

Probably doesn't matter, cause chances are, i won't get the job.

But i might.

I hope that i do, i really need the money.

The little bit of hope that i might get it is shouting out to me, trying to be heard.

That little bit of hope motivates me to call them when i get back.

Best part is, i get the job.

Turns out the qualifications aren't that high to work in a barn which is good for me.

I hope that Catherine's nice, she seemed pretty nice when i talked to her on the phone.

She said that she was moving to L.A. because of work.

She also told me that she had a daughter and son, and that the daughter would probably be around the barn a lot.

Wait, wasn't the lady who Sarah and Nova were talking about have a daughter?

Yea, but there's probably a bunch of people named Catherine who have a daughter.

Still, i wonder if it is the same person?

Then that would probably mean the girl they were talking about is her daughter.

Oh well, i can deal with a spoiled girl if it means that i get a job.