PROLOGUE

A/N: Keep in mind, the prologue takes place before Keishin becomes the coach when you're a first year. Old Coach Ukai is still the coach, and he sent Keishin to convince the VP to let you play in the boys volleyball club.

-

You nervously waited outside the Vice Principals office for your uncle's news. It had been around ten minutes. The door opened and you looked over at him.

"Your great grandfather better be grateful, that took a lot of convincing to do." he said, looking down at you.

"So I can play on the boys volleyball team?" you asked.

"Yeah, you start tomorrow." he said.

"Really? That's awesome. Maybe one day, you can take over after gramps and be the coach!" you exclaimed.

"Doubt that, I have to keep running the store." he said.

"Yeah, but you're good at volleyball! You'd be a great coach." you smiled as you walked down the hall. As you walked down the hall, you saw your only friends; Daichi, Sugawara, and Asahi. They were also in the volleyball club.

Sugawara smiled and waved at you.

"Hey Y/n!" said Diachi. "How'd it go?"

"I can play!" you smiled.

"Really?" Sugawara asked, "Thats great!"

"Yeah, we're all excited for you." Asahi said.

"I'm excited to play with you guys." you said.

"We are, too!" Sugawara smiled. You blushed from the compliment.

"Well, I'll see you guys tomorrow at my first practice!" you said.

"Yup! See you tomorrow!" Diachi said.

"Bye, Y/n." Asahi said.

"Bye guys!" you waved as you and your uncle walked away.

"They seem really excited, kid." he said.

"Yeah! I am, too. This is going to be great!" you said. You guys kept walking down the halls until you got to your uncle's car.

"Want me to take you home or do you want to help out at the store?" he asked.

"Store." you answered.

"You always want to help, why do I even ask." he chuckled.

"Because it's the polite thing to do I guess." you said.

"When am I ever even polite?" he asked.

"You're only polite to me." you answered.

"Fair point." he said while driving to the store.

"I hope being with the boys will make it better." you muttered.

"You have those three boys as your friends, right? I doubt they'll be as mean as those girls. Or anywhere near it." he said.

"I know, I'm just... Not going to fit in." you sighed.

"Yeah, because you're better than them." he said encouragingly.

"I'm just a mediocre volleyball player, and on top of that, I'm a girl." you frowned.

"You're one of the best damn volleyball players i've seen. Don't doubt yourself kid." he said, patting your shoulder.

"I guess..." you shrugged.

"Trust me, you're going to go big places someday. Remember, you're only a first year, and you've got a lot of room to grow." he smiled.

"You're right, I guess." you grumbled, embarrassed.

"Don't be embarrassed, it's true." he said, giving a rare and wide smile.

"It's just that my parents never really supported me."
you whispered.

"Yeah, I know kid. But I always have, haven't I? I'm your volleyball pal." he said.

You smiled, he was the one you would always practice with outside of school. He always had your back, even when your parents were alive.

"Yeah, you're the only reason I've stuck with it so long." you admitted.

"I'm glad you've stuck with volleyball. I can tell it really makes you happy." he said.

"I guess so." you said. You were a little sad, you were thinking about your parents. He sighed.

"I know you're thinking about them, but it's okay." he said softly. "Anyways, we're here."

"Okay." you said, unbuckling and getting out of the car. You followed behind your uncle and he smiled at you.

"One day, you're going to make it to nationals, and you'll be a part of the best team out there!" he said.