chapter 4

We peer at this man standing at the table in front of us. Nicky jeered at the man, "Ralph. I'm busy." Ralph look over me and smirks, "Ralph Dell Rose. Nicky's Cousin." I smile and nod, "Judas." Ralph raised an eyebrow, "Never heard a man having a name like that. Are you from Uptown?" I open my mouth, about to say something but Nicky stops me right there and says, "That's because he is. Now, do you mind? I'm busy." Nicky pulls me close to him, I couldn't help but rest my head on top of his head, Nicky looks up slightly and smiles. "We need to talk Nick. It'll only take a minute." Nicky groans in annoyance and pulls out a couple of dollar bills, "Here... if this takes a bit longer just pay the waiter." I take the money, "I think I'll go hit the bar..." Nicky blushes then get close to my face, "A man after my own heart." My heart melts, Nicky and Ralph walk away from me. I get up and go to the bar, I dig into my backpack and pull out a pack of Marlboro and take a cigarette out of the package, I dig into my purse some more to look for a light, "Shit." I couldn't find my lighter. "Hey Doll, need a light?" I turn my head to a man, He was smoking a cigar, he looked to be 35 or 40, he had the same kind of accent as Nicky except his was a bit rough, he had a few grey hairs, and he had a beer belly. He kinda reminded me of Al Capone or the gangsters you see in movies. I nod my head and he lights a match, I put my cigarette to the match and take a long puff and blow. He puffs and blows in my direction, he looks over at me and smiles, "Sorry, you must think I'm a jerk blowing all that smoke on you." I shake my head, "Nah it's okay. It's actually kinda warm." He chuckles, "You want something to drink? It's all on me." I shake my head no, "You don't have to, I have money." He gives me a look, "Please I insist." I begin to get frightened but just a little, but felt better because there was no way this dude could do anything bad, Roofies weren't invented till later in life. So I accepted. "Bartender! Give me two Scotch shots!" I was kind of excited, I haven't taken shots since I was in high school. The bartender nervously made our drinks and gave them to us. I didn't hesitate and I took it. It burned real bad going down, but then it became smooth. He lets out a belly laugh, "Wow! You've got Tremendous moxie!" I smiled. "Sorry, I'm Floyd." I cough a little from the drink, "I'm Judas." He takes a drink and looks over at me, "So you from around here?" I shake my head, "oh! What do you think of New York?" I rest my hand on my cheek, "It's whimsical and fun." Floyd smiles, "I'm glad you feel that way." I look behind Floyd and jump to see Nicky, Floyd turns and looks at Nicky, "Nicky my boy! Long time no see." Nicky was not happy to see Floyd, Ralph wasn't too happy either. Nicky looks over at me and then back at Floyd. Floyd smiles at Nicky, "Jude here has Moxie, is he your boy? He's mighty Handsome." Nicky stared into Floyd's soul, "Floyd. Is he drunk?" Nicky said with hostility in his voice. "Ah he's alright, come on Judie, how about another drink? I'm paying." I shake my head, "I don't think now is a good time Floyd." Nicky gets beside me, "And I'm saying no too." Floyd nods, "Nicky I needed to come to see you anyway. We need to talk about business." Nicky nods slowly, "Ralph, take him out of here." I dart my eyes at Nicky, "Wait, where is he taking me?"Nicky kisses me on the top of my hand and takes off with Floyd, "Nicky Wait!" But it was too late, Nicky was gone. "Okay. So 'Judas' tells me where you live and I'll get you a cabbie." Ralph leads me outside, it got bitter cold. Ralph hands me his coat, "Here, you need it more than I do." I take it a put it on, "So do you have a place to live?" I didn't say anything. "Hey, I'm talking to you." I growled, "Put a cork in it Ralphie!" He stares at me and flashes an angry look, I shake my head, "I'm sorry... I'm just mad at Nick right now... I didn't mean to take it out on you. No.. I don't have a place to live." Ralph sighed, "I understand. I've never seen Nicky act like he did. He'll book you a hotel, it'll be one of the swankiest hotels, so swanky that the workers put on their glad bags when they built the damn thing. How does that sound?" I smiled, "Sounds wonderful." A cab came by and Ralph waved his hand for it to come by, he opens the door for me and I crawled inside, he goes in and we drive off, I look over at him and he looked cold as death, "Here... Take your coat back, I'm warm enough now." He nods and takes it off and puts it on. It got cold again. We arrive at the hotel and he takes me inside, He hands me a key to my room, He takes me to my room and helps me to bed, "Good night Jude, it's really nice to meet you." He smiled, I giggle and pat his back, "Go get some sleep Ralph, and thank you for helping me." I lay down in bed and watch him leave my room. I look at the clock on the wall, it read 12:43. I then drift off to sleep.