00 | Prologue

A/N: Only the prologue will be written in third person

A/N: Only the prologue will be written in third person. The rest of the story will be told in first person from the indicated character's P.O.V.

also, gore warning!

The metallic stench of blood filled Rueben's nose, almost sending him down a mental spiral as he knelt before her body. Her neck glistened with her own crimson blood as the thick substance flowed from her mouth. Rueben's shaking hands turned upward, exposing the woman's blood in his hands.

It was a mistake, he thought. I didn't mean to do it again.

Anderson ran to the scene, his eyes scanning Rueben to confirm whether or not his Alpha had been hurt. Once he had seen no scratch, he went on his knees in front of Rueben, whose eyes hadn't left the blood-drained body.

Rueben continued to mutter unspoken words to himself, his hands still shaking frantically at what he had done or what he didn't mean to do. The woman he swore he thought was his Luna was dead. Her blonde hair was covered deeply in crimson. Her pale complexion was losing more of its colour.

"Reese," Ander called out to his cousin, the Beta, who only stood in front of the scene with his eyes on the girl. Her name was Anastasia. "Get rid of the body."

"Anastasia," was the only word Reese had muttered before walking up to the girl, his eyes blinking to prevent them from turning glassy.

Reese picked up her body gently and glared intensely on the wound Rueben had caused. He was angered by this, but took her body away nevertheless.

"Rueben, get up," Ander assisted Rueben up from the stone-cold marble floor.

His wolf was thrashing in his head, demanding authority, but Rueben kept his wolf at bay for the time being. He had caused this. They both had no control over these brutal murders - human or beast. It was not their doing, no matter how much they'd blamed themselves.

"This can't keep happening," Rueben murmured.

"It won't," Ander tried to convince Rueben that his curse would only last a short time.

"It will," Rueben shouted at Ander and pushed him away with most of his strength, watching Ander's body stumble back with force. "This is the third time!"

Rueben growled at Ander as fangs protruded from behind his lips, and, his once golden eyes, had turned into a darker shade, nearing hickory black.

His wolf had won.

And Ander finally knew what had to be done.

He had to find a Luna for his pack's sake - for his Alpha's sake.

The Luna.

The sharpness of the rain plummeted onto Ruth's skin, reminding her of the same pain she'd endured not too long ago on that bridge.

Along with all the thin trees that rocketed to the sky, the commotion of the rain and the fog made it difficult to see anything else besides her friend as they both tried to hurry back to town.

"He's going to come back for us," Sheila panted, sprinting alongside Ruth. Her raven locks rippled like a whirlwind behind her and the panic in her voice caused her to speak faster than what Ruth could comprehend.

"We're almost home, c'mon," Ruth was breathless as she picked up her pace.

"Home's not any better," Sheila replied, knowing for sure the man who was shot not too long ago wasn't just a man, and home wasn't going to be safe if what she knew was certain.

____________

a/n: I have so much in store for this series, I can't wait to write them down!