11 | Aggressive and Demanding

"Would I run off the world someday?"

Runaway AURORA

R U T H

"Jerome," Sheila's voice broke as she tried to reason with her boyfriend. "Please don't shoot."

His pale face reddened with anger, and the vein peeking from his forehead became beaded with sweat. Jerome trembled as he held the gun to my face. My breathing came in sharp pants, and my vision was blacking out. I was about to pass out.

"Don't shoot her," My best friend yelled, her voice echoing around us on the ghosted town bridge. "She won't tell anyone. She won't. I promise!"

I couldn't remember why he'd gotten angry so fast, or what Sheila was promising. I didn't remember seeing or hearing anything worth telling someone. Why was Jerome triggered? By what? I couldn't remember.

"I know," He gritted out. "She won't get to tell anyone because she'll be dead."

"She didn't see. I was with her the whole time, she didn't see anything, I swear!"

Jerome groaned out of frustration and spun the gun toward her. "You're lying, Sheila! I know you're lying. I know you told her everything. Stop lying to me."

But she didn't tell me anything! I wanted to tell him that to protect my best friend because she didn't tell me anything he didn't want me to know, but he clicked off the safety of the gun and walked closer to her.

"Ruth doesn't remember," Sheila stated again, her voice firm with courage as she stared at Jerome.

"She will when the time comes, and it'll be your fault," Jerome growled like an animal, and I forced myself to hold back a gasp. "It'll be your fault that you both died here because you couldn't keep a secret. It'll be your fault that I'll be hunted. It'll be your fault for everything."

Before he could press the trigger, I forced myself to move. My body shuddered at the shock of it all, but I managed to raise his arm up with force as the gunshot rang through the skies. He'd shot at nothing but air as I tackled him to the ground.

Jerome was weak enough that he'd fallen with my lowered strength, but strong enough to fight me off. With his cold bare hands, he held me by my throat and made sure I watched him as he tried to suffocate me.

A gunshot made him flinch, and I closed my eyes as his hands released from my neck. I waited, and waited before opening my eyes again. Jerome's dark eyes stared at me for a few more seconds before he turned his head to look at Sheila.

"You stupid girl," He murmured, using his little strength to stand up.

There was a hole in his shirt, but no blood.

"I had such high hopes for you," Jerome clicked his tongue in disappointment.

Sheila was wide-eyed as she stared at him getting closer. Her trembling figure remained frozen to her spot before flickering her gaze at me. Without so much as a second thought, she threw the gun my way and I caught it, feeling it slip through my hands the first time.

When I'd gotten a hold of it, Jerome had Sheila in a chokehold with a knife to her throat.

My breath faltered, as did the tremble in my hands.

"Wake up," Jerome smirked. "Wake up, Ruth."

I glanced at Sheila, and a small cry left my throat when I saw the mangled face replacing hers. He'd killed her.