16 | Physical Contact

"Anchor up to me, love."

Anchor Novo Amor

R U E B E N

Allen stared at me like he was waiting for further instructions, but I had just finished my order. His chest paused, his breathing hitched. The slight panic and relief in his eyes told me all I needed to know. Allen was fated to be with Ruth's mother. And she was living with an abuser.

"You're telling me to get her and bring her here?"

"Yes," I confirmed.

"You're telling me to kidnap my mate and take her away from her abuser without killing him?" Allen blinked rapidly, his forehead wrinkled with confusion.

"Yes."

He gaped at me, not understanding. But it was very simple. Remove victims. Take everything away from the abuser. Torture him. Kill him later. That was what happened to people who thought they had a right to raise a hand violently against the innocent. Kill by the sword, die by the sword. That was the way things worked around here.

"She'll hate me," He murmured, silently begging me to approach this differently.

"For keeping her safe?"

"For taking her away from her husband! She's married, and the abused don't find it easy to walk away. In fact, she isn't being physically abused. She's being mentally abused, and manipulated. What makes you think she'll be okay with that?" He argued, clearly on the brink of panic.

"Her daughter is here. Tell your mate that Ruth is in danger. She'll get here in a heartbeat," I stated, so sure of my plan.

While I respected Ruth and her safety, I hadn't changed my mind about letting her stay. I planned to eliminate the Jerome problem first, and then get rid of Ruth. I didn't need a mate right now with all my problems piling up one after the other. I didn't want anyone else suffering with me, and Ruth deserved way more than this hateful pack. They still couldn't look at me.

"Aright," Allen released a sigh, running a hand over his face. "I'll have her here by tomorrow morning. I'll give her the night to think it through and tell her to leave with me in the morning."

"And if she doesn't comply?" I asked, testing to see if he had been listening.

"I'll tell her Ruth needs her."

"And if she's still hesitant?"

Allen paused, staring at me blankly as he said, "I'll practically kidnap her. As you ordered."

"Perfect," I hummed.

"I wonder what your mate would say if she heard this conversation," Allen murmured as he walked away from my office.

"She won't find out," My silent threat lingered in the cold air. "Will she, Allen?"

"No, Alpha, she won't."

With that, Allen left my office and shut the door behind him. Silence greeted me, and I let my gaze loiter at the door for a few minutes before closing my eyes. I released a deep breath before heightening my senses. I could hear Allen's heavy footsteps jog down the staircase, Reese in his office downstairs as he typed on his keyboard, the helpers moving around the bedrooms as they cleaned, Josiah on the phone with Layla - no surprise there - and the twins gossiping about our brother having a crush on Ander's sister.

Then I shut them all out. My wolf paced back and forth in my mind, restless and eager to hear where Ruth was. I didn't want to know. I didn't want to care. But he nagged and whined.