Chapter 2- Meeting the Champion, and New Rivals

Author’s note: Sorry for such a late update! So many reads! Thank you all so much! Also, i’ll be taking some freedom from here on out. I won’t be quoting exactly from the game, though it will be basically similar. Okay enough from me, let’s get to it!))

Victor ran after Hop, grinning when he caught up to his friend on Route 1. “There you are, mate! Now, thankfully this route has a direct, grass free path to Wedgehurst, so you don’t have to worry about any pokemon jumping you.” Hop smiled. “Race you there!” he beamed, and turned on his heel, running again. Victor laughed, and took off after him, right at his friend’s side. The pair skidded to a stop when they arrived at the Route 1 mouth of Wedgehurst, seeing a crowd of people gathered. Over their heads, the current Galar Champion could be seen exiting the train station.

Leon smiled to all his fans, and did his famous Charizard pose, as a greeting to everyone there. “Hello all! Your beloved champion Leon has finally returned! I promised you all I would return, and so I have! And I promise to continue to give you all pulse-pounding battles you can’t help but watch!” he spoke, with a proud, booming voice, and a flourish of his cape. 

“Leon, oh Leon, our incredible and unbeatable Champion! Leon, you and Charizard are unstoppable!” someone called from the cheering crowd. “Yes, yes, thank you all! Charizard and I hope you all continue training your pokemon pals, and never shy from battle! Then one day, maybe you too, could take us on in a fiery battle for the title of Champion!” he laughed proudly. “We are, Leon! We’re all working super hard on our battle skills just like you taught us! Though, we may never be good enough to challenge you…” another called out. “Yeah, Charizard is just too strong!” another cheered. “Everyone..” Leon smiled. “Yes, while it’s quite plain that Charizard here is blazingly strong, that doesn’t mean other pokemon can’t be! With enough dedication, even a Caterpie evolves to a Butterfree one day! Don’t give up! That reason alone is why I want gym challengers to complete the Gym Challenge, and come to battle me! My wish is for all of Galar to unite through pokemon, and become the strongest in all the world! Together! We all can be champions!” he cheered, and Charizard joined in with a roar of excitement.
“Heeeeyyy! Lee! Over here! Leeee!” Hop called, waving his arm frantically in the air behind a taller man. Pushing his way through, Hop grinned at his elder brother, as the crowd parted to allow Victor through as well. “Hop!” Leon grinned back. “So, I see my number one fan in all the world has come to pick me up from the station, eh?” He looped an arm around his brother’s neck. “Oof- Lee!”
“And who’s this strapping fellow? You must be Victor! I’ve heard so much about you!” Leon smiled to Victor, who gazed at him with sparkling eyes. Growing up, Victor and Hop had always watched Leon’s matches on the telly, but Leon had never been home for Victor to meet him in person. For Victor, it was like meeting a celebrity, which he was. “Y-yes! That’s me! I’m Victor. Pleased to meet you, Leon..” he said, holding out his hand, and staring up in awe. “Well, any friend of Hop’s is a friend of mine! Pleasure to meet you, mate! As for you, Hop, i reckon you’ve grown exactly an inch and a quarter since i last saw you!” Leon spoke to Hop. “Ah, there’s the sharp eye that’s kept you Champion so long, bro!”Hop grinned, then paused, realizing Victor was confused. “Right, well, when you went out of town on that trip to Kalos with your mom, Lee came home for a week. Sorry you missed him.” Hop explained. “It’s fine, I was out of town so it doesn’t really matter.”Victor reassured. “Come on, Lee! Victor too! Bet i can beat you both back home!”Hop shouted, and suddenly, he was off again. 

“That Hop, always on a fast track to be the best, isn’t he? With a proper rival, who knows what he could do...Anyway, we better go too before we lose him.” Leon smiled, and turned back to the crowd. “Sorry, everyone, I must go for now, but don’t fret! I’ll always be here to show everyone a champion time!” he said, posing again, before the pair ran off back to Hop’s house.