Chapter 6: First Encounter

Akio's sleep was interrupted by a rustling noise. Blinking his eyes open, he saw something dart away with his most prized possession in its mouth.

With an indignant cry, he arose from his bed and set off in pursuit of the creature. Hearing him, Yoko stirred from her slumber and raced off after it as well.

Whatever this being was, it was about the size of a large dog and had golden fur which gleamed in the moonlight. Bounding over rooftops and arches, it moved with uncanny speed and manoeuvrability for a creature its size. That fact did not deter its pursuers one bit, as they kept up with the thief's every move.

The creature led them up and down the city streets, before heading for the forested areas around Okayama. Despite being chased for what seemed like hours, the furry fiend didn't seem to be growing tired at all. To Akio's greater surprise, neither did he or Yoko. Energised, they resolved to continue the chase till they'd recovered the stolen item.

Over mountains and hills it leapt, through rivers and streams it waded. Despite it all, the little boy and his fairy kept up their dogged pursuit. They had no idea how it was going to end, but they both felt they'd come too far to back out now.

Eventually, the mysterious creature ran into a small cave in the forest, with Akio and Yoko close behind. Once inside, the young lad activated his blue star radiance to illuminate the darkness. Slowly, they crept deeper and deeper into the cave, keeping their eyes peeled for any sign of the thief.

Suddenly, a yellow flash like lightning burst out from a hidden corner. Yoko cried out in warning, but the little boy was already moving. Almost without thinking, he fashioned his blue light into a solid bō staff and spun around, hurling his attacker to the ground.

It turned out to be a nine-tailed kitsune or fox, one of the trickster spirits commonly found in Japanese folklore. Picking itself up from the floor of the cave, it stood and faced the young Sakai fearlessly.

Akio swallowed and stood his ground, a little intimidated by the sight. Nine-tailed foxes like these were said to be the oldest and wisest of such creatures, reaching up to a thousand years of age. It was not a being to be trifled with. Still, it'd stolen something important to him, and he was determined to get it back.

"Fox spirit," said the little boy, "you've taken a precious possession of mine. I humbly ask that you return it."

"Why, child?" asked the kitsune.

"Because it's a crime to steal," replied Akio. "And the thing you've stolen is no ordinary object."

"How is it possible for one to steal," said the kitsune, "something which the Creator gave freely unto all people? Can anyone steal the wind, the fire, the earth and the water from His creatures?"

"You're not a human," answered the boy, "and the Word of God was given to human beings. Therefore, you ought to return it to me."

The old kitsune seemed impressed by such an answer, as if it was the very one it was looking for. Telekinetically, it brought out the English Bible it'd taken from the boy. Akio stepped forward eagerly to reclaim his property.

"A moment, child," said the kitsune, stopping him. "There's something I'd show you from this Book."

The pages of the old Bible opened of their own accord and settled at the fortieth chapter of Isaiah. Akio squinted at the text curiously, as he hadn't reached that passage in his reading yet.

"Kindly read this chapter aloud for us, child," instructed the kitsune.

Obediently, Akio read the passage in English, stopping here and there at an unfamiliar word. The kitsune kindly provided the Japanese translation whenever the boy needed it, till he came to the twenty-eighth verse.

"Has thou not known? Hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.

"He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: but they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

At this, the kitsune ordered him to close the Bible, and the child complied. Yoko watched on, puzzled; she wasn't sure where the creature was going with this.

"Son of man," said the kitsune, "do you know how far you and your companion have pursued me?"

"Alas, sir," confessed Akio, "I must say I do not."

The old fox smiled. These two children were in for a surprise.

"Believe me, child," it said to Akio, "you've followed me through hill and valley, river and stream, all the way through the islands of Japan."

"You're joking!" gasped the boy and his fairy in disbelief.

In response, the kitsune replayed the scenes of the last few hours on the cave walls around them, carefully showing the young pair exactly where they'd been at each moment. Incredibly, the two friends had indeed chased the fox throughout the entire length and breadth of Nippon, all without feeling the slightest bit of fatigue or awareness of distance. Their jaws hung open at the revelation.

Reopening the Bible, the kitsune brought their attention back to the passage in Isaiah. "Don't you see how the words of the Creator were fulfilled in you today?"

Akio could only nod in agreement. Once again, he'd been caught off-guard by a miracle.

"Let this be a sign to you, child," said the fox. "Today is a new chapter in your story, for the Creator has chosen you and your companion for the work He's prepared. You'll shortly be contacted by a messenger greater than myself, and you are to do everything he bids you. I only ask that you'll take what you've learned today to heart."

Akio and Yoko nodded vigorously at the old creature. "We will, sir," they said in unison.

The kitsune seemed pleased at their answer, and knew its work was done. With a wave of one of its magnificent tails, the cave around them faded, and Akio and Yoko found themselves back in their own quarters, with Akio's Bible in his hands.