five

Reyna stormed into the principia with her purple cloak billowing, and her greyhounds at her feet. Percy was sitting in one of the praetor chairs that he and Daria had pulled to the visitor's side, which Daria had assured him was fine, but he started to get up.

"Stay seated," Reyna growled. "You leave after lunch. We have a lot to discuss."

She plunked down her dagger so hard, the jelly-bean bowl rattled. Aurum and Argentum took their posts on her left and right and fixed their ruby eyes on Percy.

"It's not you," Daria assured him as if she could read his mind. Her face, which had been full of hot anger merely minutes earlier, was now passive. It was hard to believe that he was looking at the same person.

"It's not you." Reyna agreed, scowling. "I hate senate meetings. When Octavian gets talking. . ."

Percy nodded. "You're a warrior. Octavian is a talker. Put him in front of the senate, and suddenly he becomes the powerful one."

Daria took a break from inspecting the jelly beans. "You're smarter than you look."

"Gee, thanks, Dars." He didn't know how the nickname had slipped off his tongue, but Percy had heard Reyna use it before, and it felt well, natural. Apparently, everyone at camp called her that; she didn't even seem to notice.

"He wasn't always like this," Daria sighed. "I suppose he wants the praetor position."

"Which means you four need to succeed," Reyna said. "And prevent doomsday. Look, I need a favor."

Percy wasn't expecting that, especially when the statement was directed just at him. "From, uh me?"

Reyna scoffed and put a ring on the table — a band of silver etched with a sword-and-torch design, like Reyna's tattoo.

"Do you know what this is?"

"The sign of your mom," Percy said. "The...uh, war goddess." He tried to remember the name but he didn't want to get it wrong — something like bologna. Or salami?

"Bellona, yes." Reyna scrutinized him carefully. "You don't remember where you saw this ring before? You really don't remember me or my sister, Hylla?"

"Reyna," Daria looked like she wanted nothing to do with this Hylla. Her mouth was set in a hard frown. It was hard to get a read on this girl. "I'm not dealing with Hylla again."

"That's tough, Daria," Reyna shot back, eyebrows raised. "We need her help."

Daria and Reyna had a showdown before the younger girl sat back in her chair. Percy wondered how long Reyna had been praetor. It was clear Daria wasn't used to being disobeyed. "Fine."

"Percy," Reyna focused on him again. "You've spoken with my sister before. When you and that other one, Annabeth, destroyed our home."

Percy tried to remember. He really did. For some reason, Annabeth and he had visited a spa and decided to destroy it. He couldn't imagine why. Maybe they hadn't liked the deep-tissue massage? Maybe they'd gotten bad manicures?

"It's a blank," he said. "Since your dogs aren't attacking me, I hope you'll believe me. I'm telling the truth."

Aurum and Argentum snarled. Percy got the feeling they were thinking, Please lie. Please lie.

Reyna tapped the silver ring.

"I believe you're sincere," she said.

"So do I!"

"But not everyone at camp does. Octavian thinks you're a spy. He thinks you were sent here by Gaea to find our weaknesses and distract us. He believes the old legends about the Greeks."