twenty-three

Daria's home was under attack.

She created a sled out of a large piece of rock to keep up with Percy's pet hellhound, feeling a bit like an earthbender or something. Percy carried the golden eagle standard proudly, and Daria was glad he was on their side.

They skirted the perimeter of the camp and took the northernmost bridge over the Little Tiber, charging onto the Field of Mars at the western edge of the battle. A horde of Cyclopes was hammering away at the campers of the Fifth Cohort, who were trying to keep their shields locked just to stay alive. Meanwhile, the First Cohort was being terribly led by Octavian. They were getting overpowered by emposai and the likes. She nodded at Percy once and they broke away.

"First Cohort!" She yelled, her rock tornado carrying her high enough to get an excellent glance at Octavian's terrified expression. "Ad signa. Don't break ranks."

She joined Michael Kahale on the ground where he was defending himself against a Cyclops 4 feet taller than he was. Without saying a word a dived left, leaving the right open for Daria to help him. The Cyclops didn't stand a chance and disintegrated with a swift blow to the gut.

"'Bout time you got here Jackson." Micheal grinned, holding his arm out for a fist bump. "We were starting to think you'd left us with Octavian for the next five years."

Daria snorted, "Like I would let that hap-duck!"

A sword swung right over where Michael's head had been seconds earlier. A gold plated monster grinned eerily at them to which Daria responded by dumping a rock on his head.

"Thanks," Michael said grimly, and their little reunion was over. Daria spotted Reyna and Percy approach Polybotes from the corner of her eye.

"I've got to go," she touched her friend's shoulder. "Make sure Octavian doesn't get my cohort killed." He nodded.

"Romans!" Reyna's voice boomed across the fields. "Rally to the eagle!"

Demigods and monsters alike turned and gawked as Percy bounded forward on his hellhound.

"What is this?" Polybotes demanded. "What is this?"

Daria felt a rush of power coursing through the standard's staff onto the field. Percy raised the eagle and shouted, "Twelfth Legion Fulminata!"

Thunder shook the valley. The eagle let loose a blinding flash, and a thousand tendrils of lightning exploded from its golden wings — arcing in front of Percy like the branches of an enormous deadly tree, connecting with the nearest monsters, leaping from one to another, completely ignoring the Roman forces.

When the lightning stopped, the First and Second Cohorts were facing one surprised-looking giant and several hundred smoking piles of ash. The enemy's center line had been charred to oblivion.

The look on Octavian's face was priceless. The centurion stared at Percy with shock, then outrage. Then, when their own troops started to cheer, he had no choice except to join the shouting: "Rome! Rome!"

The giant Polybotes backed up uncertainly, but Daria knew the battle wasn't over. She finally reached Percy's side. "Man, you couldn't have done that like three minutes ago?"

"Did you ever learn not to talk so much during a battle?" He retorted. "Come on, let's get this guy."

The Fourth Cohort was still surrounded by Cyclopes. Even Hannibal the elephant was having a hard time wading through so many monsters. His black Kevlar armor was ripped so that his label just said ant.

The veterans and Lares on the eastern flank were being pushed toward the city. The monsters' siege tower was still hurling explosive green fireballs into the streets. The gorgons had disabled the giant eagles and now flew unchallenged over the giant's remaining centaurs and the Earthborn, trying to rally them.