Episode 20: And So It Begins

I ran straight toward the cabin, my heart pumping hard as I thought about what those girls must be going through.

But before I made it even ten steps forward, something grabbed hold of my foot, and I face-planted in the grass with a thud and a groan.

At first, I didn't quite understand what happened. My mind was locked on what was going on inside the cabin, and I couldn't bring it back to this moment, here in the grass.

I lifted my head and gasped as I saw the glowing outline of a ward literally three inches in front of my face. In my panic, I'd almost forgotten about the wards and traps Algrath had set around this cabin. If I'd set those off all at once, we probably all would have died.

Tears sprang to my eyes.

What was wrong with me?

Gowan knelt at my side. "You've got to get yourself under control, Lenny. Do you understand how dangerous it can be if you let your emotions get the best of you?" he asked. "We're working with a powerful trickster demon here. He's going to do whatever he can to play on your emotions, make you see things that aren't there, and prey on any of your weaknesses."

He offered me a hand, and I grabbed it, letting him pull me to a standing position.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I just heard her scream and freaked out."

"If you're going to let all the training we just did fly right out the window because of a single scream, you might as well get in the car and drive home right now, do you understand?"

His words stung, but he was right.

I'd nearly killed us all at the very first sign of trouble. That entire test with the bunny suddenly made crystal clear sense to me. Tonight wasn't just about winning some battle against a demon.

It was also about mastering my own heart.

Slayers needed to be strong. I'd always known that, but I guess I just never realized how many different ways they had to be strong.

"I understand," I said. "I'm sorry."

We walked back to the group, and even though I expected Martin to be disappointed in my actions, he put his arm around me, instead.

"I have a feeling you will learn many difficult lessons tonight," Martin said. "Let's hope the first lesson is that your impulsiveness can put the entire group in danger. That spirit of yours can be your greatest weakness, or your strongest gift. Only you can decide."

I wiped a tear from my cheek. I needed to grow up fast, or I was going to get everyone killed.

But how could my impulsiveness be a gift? I didn't understand what he meant, but before I got the chance to ask him, another scream sounded from inside the cabin.

This time, it sounded like a different girl.

I resisted the urge to run and help, but I didn't want to just stand here and listen to that, either.

"What's he doing to them?" I asked. "Or is that just for our sake? Do you think he knows we're here?"

"He most definitely knows we're here," Gowan said. "This whole place has been set up as a trap for us, and he led us right in. I can promise you, we're all exactly where he wants us."

I swallowed back fear.

"I don't understand," I said. "If we're right where he wants us, aren't we doing something wrong? Aren't we just playing right into his trap?"

"Sometimes, that's the only way to face a demon like this," Gianna said. "You have to let them believe you're falling for all their little tricks, and then, when they let their guard down, you surprise them."