Chapter 5

The M.E. van pulled into the office at the same time Natalie and Monk did. Molly had decided it would be best for her to go home, and Mr. Monk didn't disagree. The van had run into a little bit of trouble when it was transporting the body. The intern that was driving got lost on a dirt road. Then, the van's wheels got stuck in the mud. It took them an hour to get help and another hour to get back to the office. During all of this, Mr. Monk had locked himself in his bathroom and preceded to clean everything. He had to clean himself, then the shower because his dirt got onto it, and then he had to throw away the cleaning supplies because they were dirty. It took forever, but Natalie finally convinced him that it was time to go to the precinct. They watched the Medical Examiner and his intern carry the body into the building and decided to go in themselves. When they stepped into the building they immediately saw Captain Stottlemeyer waiting for them. "Where have you been?" He asked angrily.

Natalie just turned her head toward Monk and glared before she finally answered him. "Where do you think we've been?" She asked sarcastically.

The Captain turned his head toward Monk and took in his new, clean appearance. He opened his mouth, but all he could think to say was "Oh."

Mr. Monk quickly sensed Captain Stottlemeyer's discomfort and spoke up. "Captain, may you describe the condition of the body to me?" he asked.

The Captain had returned to himself and was now very annoyed. "Monk, why don't you just go in and see the body for yourself?" he questioned sarcastically.

Adrian leaned ever so slightly towards the door, trying to catch a peak at the state of the body. Eventually, he caught a glimpse of the mud soaked corpse and immediately straightened his posture. "I think I'll wait until you clean the body before I continue assisting. Come along Natalie, let's go home" he said quickly.

Captain Stottlemeyer was in no mood for Monks quirks and bruskly grabbed him by his jacket collar. "Come on Monk," he said, "We're goin' in right now." The captain began to drag an unwilling Adrian along behind him as he went into the morgue. The intern had washed off a fair portion of the mud and Adrian caught sight of a groundbreaking clue.