Chapter Five

A whirl of icy cold breeze whips pasts my ears, sending shivers down my spine.

Chloe and I are stomping through frosty grass towards the reception building. We decided to meet up, with Jackie and Mia, for lunch before we talk to the police. Mum emailed me again to explain what they were going to ask and our rights in the law. Chloe and I decided to tell them everything we know while also testing what information they have.

"Girls. There you are." Mrs Bloom, our principal's assistant, is awaiting our arrival at her desk. She smiles harshly as we let the heavy oak door slam behind us, eager to enter the heated building. "How are you girls doing?" Mrs Bloom continues, "It was really a horrible event."

"Getting better everyday Miss." Chloe responds sweetly.

"Yes sweetheart, I hope so."

I smile back at her in an attempt to hide my anxiety about the upcoming questioning.

"Anyway, I was told to direct you into the conference room down the hall on the right.

Stay safe you too." Mrs Bloom nods her head down the passage and trails us with her eyes as we say our thanks and wander away.

After many years at Oakwood, it is not the first time I have walked this passage but never before have I felt as nervous as I do now. My chest tightens as we turn right into a large room. Dark curtains are drawn across thick glass windows to block the view of any suspicious students. A large grey stone table stands in the middle of the room with chairs surrounding it. Two police officers accompanied by our school principal, Mr Lloyd, sit on the far end of the table and look up as we arrive.

"Hello girls, please come on in." Mr Lloyd gestures to the other end of the table and

Chloe and I silently take our seats.

The first police officer is very fair with reddish blond hair and stubble on his chin. He wears an intimidating classic police uniform and I wonder whether or not he is carrying a gun. The second police officer is a woman, she has light brown skin and dark hair. She smiles softly at us in a friendly, not pitiful way. She also wears normal clothes - a black blouse and pants I can't see -  and I wonder if she is a detective or more in charge.

I glance down at the table just in time to see the female officer swipe off two documents and put them in a black satchel.

Are they our files? I wonder.

"Abby, what do you think?" Mr Lloyd has just called upon me and I see everyone glance in my direction. I completely missed the conversation and look to Chloe for help.

"Do you want Mr Lloyd to stay with us?" Chloe whispers.

"Oh, um, no I think we will be okay on our own." I stutter out, hoping Chloe said the same thing.

"Ok then, I'm off." Mr Lloyd turns to the police officers. "Call me if you need anything."

He turns back to us. "You too girls." We all watch as he strolls out the room.

After Mr Lloyd cautiously shuts the door, we begin. 

"Alright girls, my name is Detective Welsh," so I was right, "But you can call me Sharon." The female detective (Sharon) is the first to speak.

"My name is Officer Carson." Officer Carson follows Sharon's lead and introduces himself.

"Hi," Chloe and I both squeak nervously.

"We are not here to scare you," Whatever. I've seen heaps of police movies, scaring them is how you get the information, "We just want to ask a few questions about the morning you found Mr Miller." Sharon says.