The Sexy Jonas Brother

Ruby sunk into Jasmin's down comforter, his short legs barely grazing the carpet below him. Abuelita used to pinch his face and tell him he would eventually grow to be un chico alto one day, even if it took a couple of extra years, but now at 18, he wasn't so sure anymore. Fortunately, Jasmin didn't mind the height difference -- in her words, Short guys are so in anyways, look at Sophie Turner and the sexy Jonas brother!  (In actuality, Ruby was several inches shorter than "the sexy Jonas brother", but what he lacked in height he considered himself to make up for in masculine energy and charm.)

Before Ruby could plunge further into this strange train of thought about his abuelita and the Jo-Jo Bros, a disembodied pair of hands clapped, snapping his attention to reality. 

"Ladies and Gentlemen," Jasmin announced, "In her debut one-women fashion show,  please welcome the sexy, the sensual, the amazing..."

Jasmin stumbled out of her closet, huffing and holding a neon pink fedora in one hand and a knock-off designer purse in the other. She twirled around to show off her new sequined ensemble that was so sparkly Ruby thought he was going to go blind. Finally, she paused, took a dramatic puff of her trusty inhaler, and struck a pose, like she was waiting for a stadium full of applause. 

"Damn, girl," Ruby said, eyeing her up and down and whistling, "You look like a sexy... detective? I can't tell. Personal investigator? Forensic scientist?"

Jasmin threw her fedora on the ground. "No Ruben! It's called the Sexy Noir look, Teen Vogue said it's like, kinda the shit right now with those Kardashian bitches?" 

"I don't think I've ever seen a Kardashian leave the house in anything other than a thong, much less a trench coat and boots old men go fishing in."

"Old man boots!" Jasmin tsked. "You crazy pendejo, you think I would be strutting around in some nasty ass smellin' dead old guy boots?! I got these in the women's shoe section at Goodwill, and the lady at check out even told me how bomb they looked."

Ruby laughed and shook his head. To him, she looked like a kid that got carried away with a costume bin in her plunging glittery bodysuit, trench coat, and knee-high boots. When Jasmin said she had a Goodwill haul to show him, he was thinking like a pair of those sexy booty shorts she liked to wear and maybe another Boss Bitch sign to hang in her room. Certainly not this.

He still had to play the role of the supportive boyfriend though, so he pulled a strained smile and said, "It looks great!"

"Oh stop," Jasmin said, rolling her eyes and slugging him on the shoulder. "Tsk! Quit your bullshitting man, just tell me if you don't like it."

"Well... I do appreciate the sexy old man boots. Really brings out the, uh, seductive curves of your kneecaps, which the Cosmo my mom keeps in the bathroom says is very in now."

"Ugh! You're such a weirdo, Ruben!"

They both laughed as Jasmin threw herself next to Ruby on the bed. 

"Hey," Ruby said, "I'm not the weirdo who spent half her paycheck buying dead people shoes from Goodwill."

"Okay! That actually hurt my feels that time Ruby!"

Ruby laid down on his side and pursed his lips. He wiggled an eyebrow for dramatic effect. "I'm sorry, but can I offer you an... apology kiss, my lady?"

Jasmin, who seemed annoyed but also secretly moved by this gesture, leaned in to accept his apology. Just as their lips were about to meet, however, Ruby's phone vibrated in his pocket, directly over his left buttcheek. He froze.

"What the hell?" Ruby fumbled the source of the buzzing out of his jeans. "I thought I put you on silent, you cockblocker."

His smile faded as soon as he read the screen. He sat up and ran a hand threw his hair, squinting at the tiny notification box on his screen. Jasmin scooted closer to Ruby, concerned.

"What? What is it?"

Monse
ruby, i know its been a while but i need your help. something important came up. catch up soon?

"Wait." Jasmin flipped a chunk of hair over her shoulder and looked back up at Ruby. "You didn't tell me Monse was back in town?"

Ruby's eyes were wide, still unblinking. "Yeah, I guess she is. Man, it's been how long since we've seen her? A year? I don't think I've had a real conversation with her since I was like, a sophomore." He looked at Jasmin expectantly, whose furrowed expression told him that she was just as concerned as he was. "You don't think she's in trouble or something, do you? I mean, you gotta admit that text is pretty sus."

Jasmin rolled her eyes, and flipped her hand nonchalantly, as if to say no big deal. "Monse? Please. That girl has been living like a queen at Yale or wherever the hell she's been. She doesn't need to worry about trouble anymore, she's out of Freeridge!"

"Yeah, well, she's back I guess. This whole thing just makes me feel really weird, you know?"

Ruby actually seemed scared now, looking so small sitting on Jasmin's bed, hunched over and pale like that one time the food truck guy gave him a three day old hot dog and he had to throw up in the bushes behind a 7/11. But this time it wasn't a hot dog gurgling back up -- it was trepidation.

"Alright." Jasmin placed a hand on Ruby's shoulder and gave him a smile, which seemed to calm him down a bit. "Let's call this puta and see what she wants."

--

*optional authors note*
Shalom, my fellow wattpadders. Thanks for the read. I'm just starting to get back into writing and I'm playing around with POV and voice a little so sorry if it's confusing haha. Thanks for all the support though! I was so happy to get my first few votes and comments over the past few days, it literally made me day so I was really grateful !! :)