17

Vaughn threw himself against the wooden door and pushed it. Then he rattled the door with his palms. Sweat was glistening on his face and neck. Then he punched the door hard with an exasperated grunt. Ru got up to her feet and took long strides over to him and took hold of his arm.

'Vaughn!' There was no response. 'Vaughn!' She said, a little louder this time. The boy looked at her squarely in the face with the most grim expression.

'Stop doing that! There's no point!' The girl said, firmly pulling him away from the door. 'You'll hurt yourself'.

Vaughn's expressions changed, his eyes softened just a little as he slowly pulled his arm out of her grip.

'Your concern for me is very touching Ruera but I'm fine. I'm going to kill the bastard who locked us in here', his eyes flashed. Ru couldn't help seeing a glimpse of the guy she assumed Vaughn was before she got to know him.

She shrugged at him and went and sat down on the small worn out carpet. After a few more rattles and grunts Vaughn strode over and lowered himself on to the floor next to her. She moved to give him space on the carpet since the cold cement was uncomfortable. He gave her a slight smile before scooting onto the end of the carpet.

'Are you cold?' He asked, rubbing his hands together. Ru shook her head.

'I'm fine', she responded p, hugging her knees closer to her body.

He looked at her for a second and hesitantly took one of her hands in his. It was cold.

'You are cold', he said. The warmth of his hands made her feel much better.

She didn't like the room one bit, it was dark and she was allergic to cement dust and her hands felt rough. Her skin prickled at the thought of it. Vaughn sensed that she was uncomfortable and scooted in closer. Ru felt a bit nervous but the circumstances didn't allow her such luxury.

'Since we are stuck here for a while we might as well talk', Vaughn said, after a few minutes of silence. He had let go of her hand now and Ru felt more comfortable.

'I probably shouldn't ask this but...who was the girl who came with you to the deli that day?' Ru asked, with as much caution as she could. Vaughn was silent for a few seconds.

'It's my um sister', he finally replied, 'actually she's my mom's adopted daughter'.

Ru looked at him carefully. She sensed that he didn't like to talk about it. Especially since she was just some girl he'd met a few weeks ago. Vaughn sensed that she felt guilty for asking.

'It's fine you can ask. That's why we are so...uncivil to each other, you must have noticed', he said in a low voice. 'Our parents want us to get along with each other, but she's so different and I just can't handle her antics', he went on.

'I feel so...annoyed and it's like mom's giving priority to her. As if we don't have enough problems'.

Ru felt like he was reading into someone else's story and felt a bit intrusive but on the other hand she understood a complicated family in so many ways and warmed up to him.

Vaughn looked at sideways at Ru and saw her staring into space with a thoughtful expression on her face. He smiled and patted the side of her head.

'That expression doesn't suit you, silly'. Ru looked up at him, smiling slightly. How wrong she had been about this guy. He was surprisingly funny and nice for someone with his own share of complications and problems.

'My sister', she found herself saying, 'she left our house'.

Vaughn's head snapped up in her direction. He looked closely at the girl who looked straight ahead of her at the wall opposite them, distractedly.