Chapter 3

Sorry for the long wait! I made an extra-long chapter in hopes that it will appease you. The action is starting to happen, and the kit filler chapters are done now. This chapter does have a bit more explanation, just as the next one most likely will, but it is a necessary evil. Well, until next time.
Enjoy!

Chapter 3:

The she-cat dashed frantically through the trees. The lukewarm afternoon with its crisp winds seemed like nothing as she ran. Light dappled through the trees, marking the path and exposing roots for the gray cat to avoid. Dirt flew up from under her paws as she rushed forward.

She was desperately confused. There had been no warning scent, no prey carcasses, no droppings, nothing to foretell the arrival of such a beast. And what a beast it was. It had only taken one glance backwards to motivate her to keep running rather than climb a tree. The huge, hairy mass of a dog was easily tall enough to reach up after her.

It’s long shaggy white fur was what made her notice it in the first place. She had been trying to hunt near the Twoleg place when it began barking and chasing after with an unnerving insistence. The frightened she cat had no idea what to do.

All she knew was that she was tiring.

“Aaah!” She cried out as she lost her footing and stumbled head first down a small rocky cliff. She slammed face first into the ground. She blinked as she tried to shake off her disorientation, feeling the ground shake beneath her as the lug finally caught up to her.

Scrambling to her paws, she scooted backwards until she was pressed into a tree trunk. It bounded forward, barking loudly with its tongue hanging out of its mouth. It went right up to her, jaws opening with saliva dripping down to land heavily on the mossy floor. She gulped as she felt its hot breath on her pelt.

Unsheathing her claws, she bunched her muscles in preparation for the fight for her survival.

The last thing she remembered was the dogs’ sharp teeth snapping at her neck.

Amberkit skunk through the grass, ears pricked and body low to the floor. She scented the air, pausing as she saw the long brown shape slithering through the grass. Her prey was awaiting her. Bunching her legs, she paused for just a moment, pinpointing her slippery snake.  She jumped with a loud yowl into the air and landed on top of the snake.

"Hey watch the claws!" Hollowstorm said with amusement. Amberkit let out a squeaky roar and pinned his tail to the floor with her body. She playfully wrestled with it, delivering the "killing bite" to the tip.

"I killed it! Hey mom did you see me kill that snake?" Lilyfire nodded at Amberkit's enthusiasm.

"That was very good. Why don't you leave Hollowstorm alone now and come with your den-mates to eat." Amberkit considered saying no until her stomach rumbled. She shook the moss off of her pelt, said goodbye to the elders, and walked towards the fresh-kill pile. There Emberkit and Birdkit were already engaged in nibbling at a gray mouse.

"Oh good, I love mice." Amberkit eagerly bent down to eat. As she sunk her teeth into the warm, juicy meat, a vision passed to the front of her mind. A loud, panicked scream and large teeth dripping with saliva, followed by blood splatter filled her sight. She shivered and gasped, cringing away from her food.