Chapter 1 - Doriane

Doriane stumbled along the pavement, her flip-flop temporarily slipping out from her foot.

She held back a whimper and turned back quickly, slipping the shoe back on and spinning rapidly, darting back onto the street.

She had to get out of here. Oliver was going to kill her.

She could hear the steps behind her coming closer, a result of her slight setback. Her mind was fogged with fear as she swung her arms harder, willing her body to propel faster. Her injured foot cried in protest at her quick pace and lack of support, but she couldn't afford to take a break.

A gas station appeared before her and she bolted for the slight glimmer of hope. Her legs pumped under her.

She felt her flimsy shoe slip off her foot again, but she refused to turn back this time. They were far too close. Just a few more steps and she would be safe.

She flew past the few cars that were parked and slammed her small body into the door of the gas station.

Doriane let out a whine when she realized the door refused to open. She pulled the handle, but the door remained shut once more.

Realizing she was trapped, she ran down the sidewalk, towards the few cars that were there.

Cars meant people.

Although people aren't always safe, Doriane could almost guarantee they were better than him.

The air was pulled from her lungs as her hair was yanked. Hard. She felt tears gather in the corner of her eyes from both the pressure to her skull and her fear.

She grabbed the hand tangled in her blonde hair and tried to pry the fingers from the delicate strands. She heard him heave in some deep breaths before he pulled her harder, back in the direction of the dark road she had come from.

"You useless piece of junk," the familiar man sneered, his hot breath skimming over her ear from how close he had pulled her to him. "You don't ever run away from us."

Doriane felt Patrick move her in front, pushing her head roughly before gripping her arm in a tight vice grip.

He removed his fingers from her head and she heard him speak into his phone, "Yeah, I've caught her. We will be back soon."

Doriane noticed the other man that was running with them start to jog in their direction, looking out of breath. "Took you long enough, Anthony. You're the slowest one in the group. Here, tie her up so we can take her back."

When she saw the anger and fury in his Patrick's eyes, she felt her pulse quicken to the point she thought her heart would forget how to recover and beat again.

Doriane didn't even notice the tears streaming down her face. She knew if they took her back, Oliver would kill her. She would be killed for what she had done.

Doriane started struggling again, trying to yank her arm from Patrick's hold. She surprised herself with the strength she still held and was able to yank from his vice grip on her arm.

She lifted her knee and aimed for between his legs. When she made contact, she didn't wait to see his reaction, but spun and ran back into the parking lot of the gas station.

Anthony caught up to her quickly this time, snagging her elbow. She struggled in his hold, trying to loosen her elbow from his grasp. His fury got the better of him and he whipped his hand across her face.

The blow was strong enough to swipe her feet out from under her. If Anthony wasn't holding her so tightly, she surely would have fallen into a heap on the ground.