Chapter 3 - Levi

Seeing his mate securely on the bed, all her wounds tended to, helped the tight feeling in Levi's chest.

Worry still gripped his mind, but seeing her taken care of was enough for the moment to be able to leave her momentarily and see his brother.

He needed to know what was going on.

Levi pressed a gentle kiss to his mate's forehead, his hand combing between the thick, mesmerizing strands of her hair.

He reluctantly turned and exited the room before he lost his motivation to speak to his brother, promising himself he would only be away for a couple minutes and nobody else had access to her.

Laurence was resting in the lobby, his body slumped in a small chair, his large form filling up the wooden frame. His head was leaned back, resting against the wall above the chair and his hands were poised in his lap.

Upon hearing Levi enter, he rose his head and stared at his brother.

Levi could tell that Laurence was gauging how willing his brother was going to let him speak. He remembered how he barely maintained control earlier and roughed up his brother over trying to help his injured mate.

Logically, he knew his brother was no threat to his mate.

He may be a tool, but their mother raised them to be strictly respectful. From the day they were born, they were trained and taught how to treat others, especially their future mates, and help them feel comfortable.

During their teenage years, they all questioned what they were taught and rebelled a little. When they were knocked back into place, they discovered how right their parents were.

"So what happened?" Levi asked his brother, sparing a glance over his shoulder at the door, wanting more than anything to turn around and march back in there and hold his mate in his arms until she was completely healed.

Laurence explained his run-in with his mate, making sure to dance around his words to not anger his brother again.

"I felt like I needed to protect her. I couldn't understand until I saw you just now in the clinic."

Levi understood the connection. When another family member meets their relative's mate, they feel strongly for them. Not in a romantic way, but in a protective manner.

Just the fact that Levi actually had a mate was baffling to him. He had accepted that he simply wasn't meant for romance, but once again he was wrong.

"What is her name?" Levi questioned, thinking of the smooth hair and plump lips of his mate.

"I don't know," Laurence shrugged, standing up from the chair and moving his neck from side-to-side to loosen up. "She didn't say much before she passed out. Levi, you've got to be careful with her, she was seriously freaking out when I was there."

Levi nodded slowly, giving that he understood what his brother was trying to explain.

He knew he needed to remember every little thing his mother had tried to teach him about what his future mate would like and not like.

"I guess this means she's not coming back to my pack then, ha?" Laurence smiled wide, chuckling to his own joke.

His movements froze when he saw the murderous look in his brother's eye and the deep rumble in his chest. "Too soon?"

Levi clenched his fists, wanting so badly to break his brother's nose into pieces. Even the thought of someone taking his battered mate from him had his wolf roaring.