2

Deformity

My eyes glued to the paper that was hammered onto the skinny telephone pole.

"OH THE DEFORMITY"

Why? Why did I get such an uneasy feeling from something so simple.

My stomach twisted. "I should hurry home..." I muttered under my breath. My head quickly turned away from the flyer, ignoring its existence, and began to walk back home.

Everything after that seemed normal, same sidewalk, same trees, same houses, it seemed just like an average day once again.

Just two more blocks... two more blocks and you'll be safe and sound at home....

Today was so strange, all I want now is to be happy and safe back at home.

Just one more block...

"Hey there!" A voice called from behind, it sounded like it belonged to a girl, maybe a bit older then me.

My legs stopped moving. I froze.

'I want to go home...' kept replaying in my head. Something was me telling not to respond, but that would be rude. Mother always told me to be kind.... but she also told me not to talk to strangers..

I turned my body turned around to face the girl.

My eyes grew wide... she wasn't alone. She was attached to someone, i believe they were conjoined twins. There was a boy who looked almost identical to her, same bright yellow hair, same glowing blue eyes, the only difference was their hair length and facial expressions. The girl looked so happy and cheerful with a big white bow in her hair, while the boy looked so dull and gloomy.

The girl happily handed me a flyer. "Come join us at the circus tonight!" I carefully take the flyer from her hands.

'DARK WOODS CIRCUS'
'TONIGHT ONLY'
'10 PM'

There was even a picture of a cute circus tent on the paper. I looked back up at the mysterious girl.

"I hope to see you there" she gave me a wink, she seemed so happy and excited. The boy was the complete opposite, he was avoiding eye context the entire time, almost like he wanted to be anywhere but here.

"Thank you I'll try!" I smiled back at the girl, she seemed pleased. Her and the boy soon walked away and I started to continue walking home.

Isn't that the same circus the other flyer was talking about... my stomach turned, something was telling me I shouldn't go but at the same time, it was something new. Something different.

Life gets boring doing the same thing over and over again.

———————

The clear bright sky soon turned dark and cold, my eyes traveled up and saw nothing but the bright moon. I looked back at my house before leaving and gave a small smile "see you later mom."

My legs were becoming weak as I continued walking. How long has it been. It felt like I've been working in the middle of the woods for hours, only thing I could see was the small path lit by the moonlight and the shadows of the big trees that arched over my frail body.  My head hung low, looking at nothing but my feet and the path before me.

Faint music was soon heard in the distance and my head quickly shot up from the ground. Lights were seen in the distance. My heart began to beat faster, something new, something exciting is going to happen.

My walking quickly became running as the music grew and eventually a big red and white circus tent. Just like the one on the paper from earlier, appears in my view. With ights flashing towards it and a crowd of kids around my age gathering around.

"I made it!"