Nyaabagangal Theemoottum..

The flashback:

Mullai hurries to the shop, agitated...
Her hand wringing the tassels of her half saree, her other hand adjusting the strap of her school bag on her shoulder.

She sees that only Kumeresan Maama is in the shop...

M: Appa...avan engae?

Kum: Jeeva ippo dhan kelambunae...

M: Jeeva maama illae, Kathir...

He looks up in surprise from arranging the jars on the display...

Kum: Avan pakkathulae delivery pannae poirrukan..

M: Engae?

Kum: Sheela Tea kadai pakkathulae...

M: Seri pa...naan avanae angae patthukerren..

She climbs down the stairs and almost breaks out into a run..

Kum: Mullai nallae padi pah...periyae paruchailae, nee dhan first varenom..

M: Seri pa seri pa...

She doesn't look back...

She reaches the shop and spots Kathir drinking tea with his friends..

He seems to have grown taller than the last time she saw him, his whole body has changed, muscles, all coiled and sleek. And he even has the beard, that he so desperately wanted...he is not a boy anymore...he is a man..

His friends tell him she is here and he turns and walks over to her in annoyance.

K: Ingae ethukku vanthae? even his voice has changed.

M: Athu vanthu...

K: Innum konjae naal leh public exam veichikkuttu oore sutthitu irruke, tuition ku poliyah?

His eyes rake her body, very casually...just a flicker of his eyes and he turns away irritated.

M: Kathiru...ennae...

K: Nee mothalae ingae irunthu kelambu..study holidays lae paddikanom...poh poie padi...approm hostel leh time kadaikathu...

M: Ennae oru aalu follow pannite irrukan...naan tuition poh mothelllam pinnadiyae varaen....kalelae approm saingalum eppovume pinadiyae irrukan..naan ethenaiyo thadavae sollitten..kekalae..inniku kaiyae pudichu izhuthutan...

She tells it in a hurry and ends the sentence in a sob..

M: Bayamae irrukku..

For the first time he notices her tension, her sweaty face...the tear tracks on her cheeks..and the change in him is startling to watch.

His lethargic stance vanishes, he stiffens and his eyes go hard...

M: Appa kitte sollelae...tuition pohae venam nu veetulae ukkare veichituvangae... Maths ku tuition kandipa venum...

Her eyes are huge in her slim face and it tugs at his heart..

K: Avan kandippae ullur karanae irruke matten.. Avan veedengae?

M: Tuition miss veetu pakkathulae, puthusa ippo dhan, konjam naal munnadi vanthan..

K: Innaiku saingalam..na angae irrupen...thairiyamae tuition ku va...

That evening, it is late when she leaves her teacher's house and the street is lonely and dark.

Where is Kathir? He should be here by now...