Chapter 2

Arlo walked through the halls after his meeting with Vaughn.

"Don't provoke him? How dangerous is he?"

"Hey, did you hear? Seraphina lost to the new kid." This stopped Arlo right in his tracks.

"Seraphina...lost?! How is that even possible?" His surprise soon turned into a grim face.

"He's powerful then. Is he going to come for the throne?" Stunned, Arlo continued to walk, but surprisingly deep down inside he felt a surge of anger.

John walked through the hallways, reflecting on his fight.

"That was the Queen...what a lowlife!" John thought to himself, before an image of Claire filled his mind. Coming to a stop he took a deep breath and began to try to clear his head.

"No...I'm not a monster. She attacked first." While he was walking he bumped into a tall blonde student, and hurt his forehead as he rammed it into the blonde's chin.

"Is his jaw made of steel? Sheesh!" John looked up to see Arlo staring at him.

"I wasn't watching where I was going, sorry!" Arlo stood, surprised that he wasn't recognized. Then the thought hit him.

"You're John aren't you?"

"Uh yeah, how did you know?"

"Rumors get around quickly." Arlo looked to the side and saw there were a bunch of students whispering.

"Don't you all have classes to get to? Go!!" He yelled, and the hallway cleared out quickly. He looked backed at John and smirked.

"I'm Arlo, King of Wellston. You managed to defeat the Queen from what I've heard, you're pretty powerful."

"I don't care about the power. I just want to live my life." With that, John walked away, not giving Arlo time to talk.

"John!" He called, and John turned his head.

"How about we get a drink after school? It'll be my welcome for you."

"Sure. I'll see you later, King." John turned and kept walking. Arlo turned and kept walking himself.

"He's interesting."

The day passed by rather quickly, and for the first time in awhile John was looking forward to hanging out with someone. It had been awhile since he felt this...

"Hey John!" He heard a girl call out to him, and saw Elaine running to catch up to him.

"What's up Elaine?"

"Ah..." Her face flushed slightly before looking up at him.

"Do you want to get a drink after school?"

"Actually, I'm tagging along with Arlo, but I'm sure he won't mind if you join." Elaine thought for a second. She had heard that name before, but where...?

"The King Arlo?"

"That's the one!" Elaine suddenly turned very red.

"I'll be getting a drink...? With the King?" John just stared at her.

"Yikes."

Seraphina stood on the roof of the school, watching everyone leave school. She held tightly to the gate, and she thought over her defeat.

"I'm supposed to be perfect...have the best grades, be the strongest, be the example people look at. Then comes him and ruins everything."

"This is what I think of your stupid hierarchy." He had said. But what did he mean? Didn't everyone want to be strong? Why was he so opposed to it? Something seemed off about him, and she was determined to find out.

John and Elaine walked out of the school and noticed Arlo waiting for them. Well, him.

"Hey Arlo! Sorry it took me awhile. I ran into Elaine here. She'll be joining us if you don't mind." Arlo looked at Elaine and nodded.

"That's fine. Let's go." Arlo turned around and started walking, with John and Elaine following close behind him.

"So Arlo, where are we going?"

"Ever heard of Starrbucks?" He replied, and Elaine's eyes became stars.

"That place is soooooo good!" She could practically taste her favorite drink, and John started chuckling.

"Hold on, I have to make a phone call." He pulled out his phone and dialed a number. Elaine and Arlo went ahead.

"Hello? John?"

"Hey Dad."

"How was your first day? You didn't get into any trouble did you?"

"No no, but I did get into a fight with the queen." The other end of the line got really silent for a minute. John checked to see if the call dropped.

"Dad-"

"YOU WHAT?" He yelled, making John pull his head away from his phone.

"Hey hey it's okay. That means nobody will bother me here. I actually have to go. I have to make one more phone call then I'm getting a drink with the King here."

"Alright fine, but don't think we're not gonna talk about this later John. Stay safe, son. I love you."

"Yeah yeah, I love you too Dad. Take care." He hung up the phone and scrolled to a name that made him take a deep breath. He hit the call button and held his phone up to his ear. After a couple of seconds of ringing, a girl answered.

"John?"

"Hey, Claire."