Chapter 3

My week at dads ended and I was going back to Mom's. Dad had to work so Calum dropped me off.

"See you in a week Sweetheart. Love you."

"Love you too."

I opened the door and headed upstairs to our apartment. I unlocked the door with my key and walked in. Mom was in the kitchen drinking coffee and a strange man was sitting at the table. I never got to know the people she brought around. But I never wanted to. I ignored her and went to my room.

It was quiet until I heard mom knock and come in.

"How was your week?" She asked.

"Fine."

"Something bothering you?"

"No."

Mom didn't ask anymore and left my room. It was lonely at my mom's house. I didn't have any pets and I didn't have someone to hang out with when mom was busy. It was just me. My day consisted of watching Netflix and YouTube. Mom came into my room at around 4.

"I'm going to go to the store. I'll be right back."

I nodded. She was lying. She was going to go to a friend's house. She always did that. You would think that she would know that I'm not stupid but apparently not.

For dinner, I heated up some chicken nuggets and french fries. I sat at the small table alone and stared out the window. When I was done, I washed my plate and then headed back to my room.

At around 11pm, I heard the apartment door open with some giggling. She was drunk. I heard a man's voice that I didn't recognize. I tried not to listen until I heard moaning. I grabbed my ear buds and started to blast music to drowned out the sound.

The noise finally ended and I was able to fall asleep. I woke up though at 3am and I was thirsty. I got up and opened my door going into the kitchen to grab a drink. I grabbed a glass and turned around and was faced with a man. I screamed and dropped the glass. The glass went everywhere.

"Geeze, you act like I was going to kill you." His voice is deep and his eyes were bloodshot. He was high.

He grabbed something from the fridge and left. I went to clean up the glass and accidentally stepped on a piece. It hurt and I carefully limped to the bathroom.

I grabbed the tweezers from the cabinet and sat on the toilet to take it out. After taking it out, I put neosporin and a bandaid on. I limped back to bed and went back to sleep.

I woke up the next morning to music being blasted from one of my neighbors. Great. I put my ear buds and turned on my music while I scrolled through my phone. I didn't this for awhile until I decided to start on school.

Dad texted me telling me to have a good day. I missed him already. Even though it had only been a say since I've seen him. At around 12, I got hungry so I went into the kitchen to grab something to eat. I grabbed a granola bar and water and then went back to my room.

Mom had been at work for awhile so it was just me in the apartment. I watched some TV and played on my phone.

It was 8pm and mom still hadn't come home. My anxiety was starting to rise.

What if something happened? What if she's not coming home? What if, what if, what if.

My whole mind was racing and I couldn't eat. I could sleep. My body was full of panic. My chest started to feel tight and I felt like I couldn't breath.

I needed to call someone.

My shaky hands grabbed my phone and I clicked my dad's contact. I listened to the ringing. It was getting harder to breath.

"Sam, what going on?"

"D-a-d, I c-an't b-re-a-t-h."

Everything was becoming fuzzy and I started to see black. And then I was out.
_____
Ashton's POV

"Sam, honey. Are you still there? Sam."

I couldn't hear anything and my heart was pounding. I was in my car quickly and was driving as fast as I could to her mom's house. I tried calling her mom but there was no answer.

"God damnit." I shouted when the number kept going to voice mail.

When I got there I unlocked the door with the spare key her mom gave me. I ran into Sam's room to see her passed out.

"Sam, Sam."

I made my way over to her. She was passed out but her heart was beating. She had a panic attack. She wasn't getting enough oxygen. I dialed 911 and stayed with her until they came. I drove to the hospital behind them and followed them inside.

I had one question on my mind. What caused this.