Chapter 7

When I walked in, the floor was littered with cans and bottles. The apartment smelled like weed. I held my breath and walked to my room. When I got in my room, I locked the door and opened the window.

I wanted to go back to Dad's. His house is always clean. It smells nice. And I have Duke and Calum there to keep me company when dad's not home. But here. All I have is the smell of weed and my mother's pot head boyfriend.

I heard a knock on my door.

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Mom."

I went and unlocked the door to let her in.

She walked in and came and sat on my bed.

"How are you doing?" She asked.

I shrugged. "I'm fine."

She didn't ask about the surgery or anything. I don't think she really cared.

"Matt and I are going out tonight so we won't be back until late."

I nodded. "Ok."

She left and I was alone again. Of course they were going out.

Mom has changed a lot since dating Matt. She spends more time with him than me. We've drifted apart in the last month. I miss coming home and getting to watch movies with her. Or going out to get our nails done. All she does now is spend her money on alcohol and weed.

I decided to text Hannah.

Hey

She responded pretty much right away.

Hey Sammie

What are you doing?

Nothing much. I'm just chilling on the couch with my mom and Lucy

Lucy is Hannah's new puppy. She got her right after she got out of the hospital. Her mom wanted to get something that would cheer Hannah up.

So cute😍

We texted for a little while before I turned on Netflix and fell asleep. I woke up a little while later to the front door opening and I tried to ignore it. I heard their bedroom door close. I was thirsty so I got up and went to the kitchen. As I was getting a drink, I saw Matt stumble into the living room.

"Grab me a beer." I heard him yell.

He was clearly intoxicated.

"Haven't you had enough to drink." I said. Instantly regretting saying that.

"What did you say?" He sounded angry.

He was in the kitchen quickly and had me cornered. He made his way towards me.

My heart was pounding. What was he going to do.

"What gives you the right to be a little bitch." He said.

He was soon in front of me and held my body against the wall. His hand wrapped around my throat and I couldn't breath.

"When I say to do something you do it. Do you understand?"

I nodded frantically and he let me go. I ran to my room and locked the door. I sunk down to my knees and let the tears slip down my face. He had never held me up against the wall before. The image kept running through my head. I didn't sleep that night. Too shaken up to.

I could barely do school the next day. I was so tired but I didn't want mom getting mad that I wasn't doing school.  I drank a lot of coffee which only helped for so long.

I wanted dad. I wanted him to hold me and tell me everything was ok. I wanted to watch movies and laugh with him. I wanted to feel loved.

I barely ate the next few days. I was terrified to leave my room. I would only leave when I heard mom and him leave.

I was so miserable. I cried myself to sleep at night and woke up with nightmares. I didn't talk to anyone. I only sent texts to dad so that he knew I was alive. I didn't talk to him about how I was. I didn't tell him what happened. I kept my mouth shut.

Towards the end of the week. Mom forced me to sit at the table with her and Matt. I hadn't seen him in a couple of days.

The news they told me made me almost throw up.

"We're getting married."