Chapter 7

I stopped with my back against the wall and craned my neck, so I could see around the corner. The hallway was as dark as the one I had just tiptoed through, however, my werewolf senses still allowed me to make sure the coast was clear.

"What are you doing?"

The female whisper had me spinning around and wrapping my hand around her neck. It took my sharp senses two further seconds to recognize the female now digging her nails into my wrist. In an instant I let go, which allowed her to take a safe step backwards. Loud coughs squeezed through her throat, while I stared at her with wide open eyes.

Did you... Edria was just as speechless as I was.

With her hands protectively around her throat stood the Luna Queen, who was still struggling to catch her breath.

I just choked the Luna Queen.

"Spirit, you werewolves are strong." She rubbed her hand against her throat.

"I... I'm so sorry, Luna Queen. I didn't hear you sneak up on me. And because I'm a warrior I'm trained to always expect an ambush."

"Forget it." She swatted my apology away and straightened back into her full height. "I should have known better than to sneak up on a sneaking werewolf. Which brings me back to my question. What are you doing here?"

We can't lie to her. She's our Luna Queen, Edria said before I could even open my mouth.

But we can't tell her the truth either.

"You're the Alpha's mate, aren't you?" The Luna Queen continued before Edria and I could make a decision. "The one who's been locked up."

"Yes." I nodded despite Edria's warning. "But he's innocent. I know it. He would never work with hunters."

"You're on your way to him right now, aren't you?"

"Yes. I know it's wrong, but I need to see him. I can't stand him being down there on his own."

"I heard Theo and Yasin talk about some kind of plan." She shook her head. "I think locking up your mate was a part of their plan, and that your mate is in on it too. I also think they're trying to lure someone else out."

Both Edria and I were left speechless staring at our Luna Queen, who glanced up and down the hallway and then back at us.

"I'll pretend I never saw you here tonight, but you need to promise to be careful. And not to cause too much trouble."

"I promise." I agreed without hesitation, while feeling like my eyes were about to pop out of my head.

Our Luna Queen is so cool, Edria breathed out.

"Thank you, Luna Queen. I'll be forever in your debt."

"That's not necessary. I'll be on my way now, so good luck."

With one last wave she slipped down the hallway into the opposite direction from where I was going. She melted with the shadows and a moment later vanished out of my sight.

Wait. Why is the Luna Queen sneaking around the castle? Edria asked.

Should we follow her?

No, we need to focus on Hunter. We don't know how much time we have left.

Edria was, of course, right. Right now Sasha was still peacefully asleep in our bedroom, but we had no way of knowing how long that would last.

I craned my neck back around the corner and once again checked that the coast was clear. Then I dashed down the hallway.

I reached the staircase leading into the underground floor in record time. While the stairs had looked shadow-covered during the day, they were now wrapped in a thick darkness. Even with my heightened werewolf senses I could barely make out the shapes of the individual stairs.