Epilogue

I sprinted down the red carpet covering the hallway, but at the same time I couldn't resist sneaking a backward glance. No one seemed to be following me. Yet.

I think I hear someone, Edria hissed. Just a little farther.

I rounded the corner into the hallway of my room and tightened my muscles even further. This was life or death.

Just as I was about to grab the door handle, the said door opened and I found myself chest to chest with my mate.

"Wha—" He began, but I didn't give him a chance to finish.

I plastered my open palms against his chest and pushed him inside the room. Together the two of us stumbled inside, where I immediately shut the door behind us. Then I pressed my ear against the wood and strained my ears for any approaching footsteps.

I don't hear anything. I think we lost her.

She knows where our bedroom is, Edria said.

Do you think she'll come all this way?

I don't know. She looked rather determined.

"What's going on?" Hunter asked. "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything." I moved away from the door and turned to face him. "I'm running away from the Luna Queen. She keeps ordering me to rest and refuses to listen when I tell her that I've already healed from the bullet wound."

"I know she's the mother of all werewolves, but that doesn't sound like the Luna Queen."

"You're right." I shook my head. "I think she's using me as an excuse to avoid the Alpha King. She's angry with him because he didn't include her in his plan, and because his plan involved putting an innocent Alpha and his Luna in danger."

"I like the sound of that." He diminished the distance between us.

"What? You like the sound of what? Us being in danger?"

"No." He wrapped his arms around my back and pulled me closer. "You calling yourself my Luna."

Before I could even open my mouth to respond, he lowered his head and brushed his lips against mine. The teasingly soft kiss deepened when I wrapped my arms around his neck and opened my mouth. Goddess, he tasted delicious.

"How long are you planning to make me wait?"

"I don't know." I cupped his cheeks and pulled his face back down to mine. "She seemed rather determined and—"

"Not the Luna Queen." He shook his head. "You. How long are you going to make me wait before I can make you mine?"

"I'm not making you wait." I rose to my tiptoes and brushed my lips against his ear. "I've been ready for us to mark each other since the day you said you don't mind a Luna being a warrior as well. You're the one who keeps pushing it off."

Before he could get a word in response, I captured his lips with mine. He didn't resist even for a second as I ran the tip of my tongue across his lower lip and then moved in to meet his own tongue.

A low growl erupted from the depths of his chest, and he wrapped his arms tighter around my lower back. His lips travelled down my jaw, until they reached the base of my neck. The exact spot where his mark would rest.

The tips of his canines brushed against my skin and I instinctively leaned my head to the side. My mind was spinning with Edria's need to sink her own teeth into Hunter's neck, claiming him as ours. I was more than ready.

"We need to stop." He pulled a step away from me.

"What?" He seemed to be the only werewolf in existence who would hesitate for so long before marking his mate. "Why? I'm ready for us to mark and mate. There's no need to wait."