Chapter Two: Second Year

Rumor has it that Hermes Granger's hugs were miraculous.

It all started when Neville Longbottom spectacularly failed a Potions assignment and had a fifteen-minute lecture from Snape about the importance of having brains to become a successful wizard. Tears were already streaming down his face as he quietly excused himself from Potions class and hadn't return even after the lesson had ended.

Hermes told his best friends Harry and Ron that he'd like to check up on Neville first before going to the Great Hall. When he returned, the despondent Gryffindor was trailing behind and Hermes had to force him to eat until Neville was at least smiling again.

For the next Potions assignment, Snape gave Neville another fifteen-minute lecture in the importance of honesty and integrity, much to the confusion of the whole class. Snape grumpily deducted ten points from Neville and slammed his homework on his table. Neville exclaimed a small squeak in surprise, and those who were near him peeked at his homework. He was then congratulated afterwards because he got an 'A' for his Potions essay.

Later that afternoon, Neville tearfully gave Hermes a hug in thanks. Hermes laughed and patted his head, telling him it was all him, really, and he merely guided him to the right track.

A few weeks after, a crying Lavender revealed that her pet rabbit was missing from home. Hermes, who was sitting beside her during lunch, wrapped his arms around her and patted her head. He assured her that he would soon be found, he was sure.

By dinner, Lavender was crying once more, this time because of happiness because her mother Owled from home, telling her that Binky the Rabbit was found hiding inside one of her drawers. She threw her arms around Hermes in thanks. Hermes would laugh, tell her he did not even do anything, but was glad Binky was found.

At the end of the month, Harry and Ron had a disastrous row in front of the whole student body, fists exchanged and was punished by detention and demerits.

They were ignoring each other for two days until Hermes, fed up with their stupid silent treatment, swung both of his arms around his best friends and forced them to face each other, threatening them that he wouldn't let go until they made up.

After stumbled apologies and awkward smiles, Harry and Ron grinned and wrapped their arms around each other. Hermes wore a proud grin on his face, smacking both of them at the back of their necks because they were idiots and it seriously disrupted his studying when the two blokes weren't talking.

"Is it true Hermes Granger's hugs bring miracles?" inquisitive Colin Creevey asked Neville one time.

The older Gryffindor looked down at him and frowned. "What?" he asked. He scratched the back of his neck and looked thoughtful for a while, "I'm not really sure but... but he does give really warm hugs."

Lavender laughed openly in front of a disgruntled Colin Creevey when he asked her this time. "That's rubbish," she said, shaking her head as she smiled at the oblivious Hermes Granger. "But, if you must know, his big hugs make you all warm and tingly."

Colin still was unsatisfied with their answers but felt nervous about interrogating The-Boy-Who-Lived himself. Hence, he believed the next best thing was to ask the subject of the rumor himself.

"Is it true your hugs bring miracles?" he blurted, finally cornering the second year on one of the overstuffed couches in the Gryffindor Common Room.

Hermes slowly looked up from his parchment and frowned. "What?" he asked. When the first year repeated his question, his eyebrows flew behind his curly fringes. "Where did you even get that idea?"

Colin shrugged. "People are talking about it," he said. "I got curious."

The older wizard snorted and placed his assignment aside. "First of all, that is ridiculous," he said, rolling his eyes. "Second of all, there is no such thing as miracles... hmm, well maybe there is, but I've yet to witness one." He smiled at the younger first year. "Last of all, maybe you want to try it out for yourself?"