eight

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒chapter eightsomething lost, something found┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒
chapter eight
something lost, something found
┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚

Five years later
27 BBY

ELYSAR WOULD NEVER forget the day she learned what the Force was. Perhaps, she'd been told many times before — she'd been very young, after all, and her memory had been fleeting, much like her attention. But that day, in the darkness of the training atrium, surrounded by her fellow clanmates, Elysar couldn't tear her eyes away from the starlit hologram of the Galaxy.

Master Yoda'd pulled the shades over the tall windows, and suddenly, all the light had been sucked out of the bright room. The Younglings watched with wide eyes as their teacher placed a crystal ball onto the map reader and gasped when the room was set alight once more, engulfed in a radiant blue light.

You cannot see the Force. You cannot touch the Force. And yet it is the very thing that unites the entire universe. There is no life without the Force. There is no Force without life — they are so intertwined, it is impossible to tell where one ends and the other begins. Master Yoda said that while Force streamed though every living form, the Jedi were the only ones who could feel its presence so acutely, they could bend it to their will. But to do that, he told the impressionable Younglings, one had to be light of heart and clear of mind.

Elysar found that she understood it now better than she ever had before. Eyes closed against the gentle caress of the wind, she listened to its lulling northern song. She could hear the rustling of the leaves, the birds chirping in the heart of the forest and could feel the frail snowflakes dancing in the crisp air only to melt on her hot skin.

Elysar took a deep breath, her chest inviting the pleasant chill. Hovering mid-air on a cliff, she opened her eyes and let them sweep over the breathtaking scenery laying before her, one she still couldn't get used to. The sun was peeking out from the snow-crowned tops of the rocky mountains, enveloping the green planes of Zeffo is the golden morning light. Elysar could almost feel the break of dawn and every living being that came alive with it, awoken from their slumber.

She could also feel one living being in particular standing behind her, very much awake.

"What do you want, Jaryn?" Elysar droned.

"Are you busy?"

"It depends. What do you want?"

A pause. "I need your help with something."

"Can't it wait?"

"It could," said Jaryn, "But I'd rather it didn't. There's something you need to see."

Elysar blew out a deep sigh and threw one last longing look at the striking panorama before landing back on the ground. Jaryn was waiting for her near the trail that led to the village, leaning on on a rock in what was supposed to be a nonchalant pose but somehow perfectly displayed his anxiousness. Elysar took in his soot-covered woolen jacket and the layer of dust on his thick black curls — that, along with the sheepish look in the boy's eyes, was enough for her to make an unfortunate conclusion.