ten

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒chapter ten: endings, beginnings   ┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚

┎┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┒
chapter ten:
endings, beginnings
┖┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┚

AS MUCH AS ELYSAR had enjoyed the peace and tranquility of Zeffo, she was reminded, yet again, that nothing would ever come close to the chaotic bliss of the galactic capital. The throngs of skycars, the bustle of the upper levels, the peaks of skyscrapers disappearing in the puffs of clouds — it was a killer concoction of anything and everything that made anyone feel like they belonged. And as the second pilot to Cere, Elysar had the first-row seat. Quite literally, in fact.

Of course, Jaryn was right there by her side, even though Cere had told him a dozen times that it was safer to stay buckled until they'd arrived. But could anyone blame him? For seventeen years, all the boy had seen were the green planes and snowy mountains of Zeffo.

"The Wind take me," Jaryn whispered in shock when a massive fortress emerged from the clouds, "Is this the Temple?"

"Yeah," Elysar replied faintly. She, too, was staring at it, although with not so much as amazement, but rather dread. Her homesickness was quickly overshadowed by the sharp feeling of anxiousness. But there was no time for Elysar to ponder on it — before she managed to realise how truly terrified she was, the starship had already flown through the gaping door of the hangar.

"I can't believe we're here," Jaryn exhaled in shock.

'Neither can I,' Elysar thought, sinking further into her seat as the ship hovered above the ground and then landed. And her fate was sealed.

Elysar had been to the Cave of Evil, had battled her fear and come out the winner, and yet now, the thought of facing the life she had abandoned seemed a feat entirely too terrifying to tackle. And so, while Master Cordova and Jaryn were leaving the ship, the former losing no time to speak to the Council, Elysar stayed in the pilot station, trying to muster up a modicum of courage.

"Are you ready?" Cere asked.

"Yeah."

Even if Elysar didn't truly mean it, she knew she had to get off the ship lest she changed her mind and hijacked it to escape to the Outer Rim and join the Church of the Force. Maybe she could become their goddess, their prophet. That didn't sound too bad. She didn't know what she expected to happen, really: a public trial? Or, perhaps, a loud gathering with fanfares and Master Yoda welcoming her back with his tiny, open arms? For some reason, all of that seemed more plausible than the reality.

Mace Windu was an imposing statue erupted in the middle of the hangar. He stood there, unmoving, his face bearing no impression whatsoever, even more impassive than usual, which didn't seem possible. Or at least hadn't until the minute his eyes landed on Elysar.

She stepped off the boarding ramp and waited while Master Windu talked to Cere. Elysar supposed he was telling her about Cordova's whereabouts, maybe interrogating her about what'd happened. Whatever it was, Cere nodded dutifully, then turned to give Elysar a rueful smile before rushing out of the hangar in search of her Master.