Part 9: Before The Gala

It took Marinette the entire rest of the month to finish her and Chat Noir's costumes. Every day was nonstop constant work. Wake up. Go to school. Sew. Fight an akuma. Sew. Sleep. Repeat. This was her schedule everyday, and sometimes, if she was lucky, there wouldn't be an akuma attack. From what she observed, Chat must have gone to someone about his shoulder because it seemed perfectly fine after the night she'd asked him to. They had seen each other very rarely after that, Chat only coming by once to twice a week. They still texted on a regular basis, but he clearly wanted to give her space to work. Not that Mari would have minded the company.

But it was finally the day of the gala and Mari could hardly breathe. She'd given Chat his costume yesterday, wrapped tightly in packing paper. Now, Alya was here and they were getting ready together. Alya played with Mari's hair as she put a few finishing touches on her dress.

"I've waited long enough girl! Tell me about your man!" Alya braided two pieces of her hair and tied them behind her head with a red ribbon.

Mari stuck herself with the needle and squeaked in surprise, sticking her finger into her mouth, "I already told you Alya," Marinette said, "You'll see him tonight."

Alya grumbled, but finished Mari's hair and began on her own. Marinette indicated to her best friend that she was going to go get dressed and Alya nodded at her. She grabbed the large dress and practically dragged it to the bathroom. It took her awhile to shimmy into the dress, but she was certain she'd done the measurements perfectly and was able to eventually get it up and around her shoulders. However, it was impossible to do the corset up herself so she had Alya come in and help her.

"You're sure this was the first time you've sewn a gown?" Alya asked as she helped tighten the laces on her gown, "because this is incredible. I can't believe my best friends can do this kind of thing."

Marinette laughed lightly, "Thanks Alya."

"Nino will be here any minute," Alya said, "we're going to meet the others at the Louvre in half an hour. When will your boy be here?"

"Soon." Was all Mari said, checking her phone for the hundredth time in the past hour and finding nothing.

"Are you gonna come with me and Nino or are you guys just gonna meet us at the Louvre too?"

Mari glanced at herself in the mirror, swaying from side to side and letting the gown twirl around her, "We'll meet you at the Louvre."

Alya smiled at her excitedly, "I'm gonna go downstairs so that I'll be ready. Wanna come?"

Just then, a knock came at the rooftop hatch. Alya's eyes widened in realization, the situation hitting her in full. She let out a shriek and began jumping up and down, "No way!!" But Mari just shooed her down the stairs, mumbling a quick goodbye then climbed the ladder to her roof.

A gloved hand extended to her, helping her with the last few steps. She was only wearing her regular flats with her dress, but she figured no one would really see them.

She stepped out onto the roof and found her Prince Charming staring at her. Chat Noir looked incredible.

 Chat Noir looked incredible