chapter one

A typical Friday night in Harrys and Eliza's New York home, was the two best friends lounging on the couch in cosy clothes watching cheesy rom-coms on Netflix. It was a tradition they had back home in Holmes Chapel, while he was touring with his band and now in New York as she moves in for the summer before her last semester in college; and as he records his first solo album.

Eliza, who wears one of Harry's oversized jumpers and a baggy pair of joggers and with her hair tied back from her face, she plops down next to Harry with a bowl of popcorn. He smiles at the sight of his beautiful best friend and wraps an arm around her shoulders as she snuggles into his side.

"Rom-com again?" Eliza asks sarcastically.

Harry chuckles, "Course, Ellie."

Harry loved this feeling. He and his best friend certainly acted like a couple but they weren't. He adored Eliza and had only come to the realisation, after not seeing her for so many months beforehand. He hated not being without her. But if only she returned the same feelings, he might be complete. He prayed that she would but there was somebody else she much preferred.

Eliza was at her last year of college studying literature. Harry begged her to stay with him in New York and he could get her a transfer to a better college out here just so he could be closer to her but she was used to her surroundings and her family and friends back home. And Callum was at her college. He studied history but he and Eliza had met as he once asked her for directions to find the library on campus. Eliza and Callum began to notice each other a lot more on campus since then and he had asked her out a few times - but nothing too serious. Harry was jealous because of him but Eliza was happy so he tried not to care a whole lot.

"I'm not keeping you from writing, am I?" Eliza asks him before the movie starts.

"Not at all El, I'm gonna write later," he says. She nods and just as she was about to reach into her popcorn, her phone pings with a message. She reads that it's from Callum, whom she would have been messaging since being in New York for the summer.

Harry sighs deeply knowing who it is and to this, Eliza shuts off her phone. She grabs a handful of popcorn and throws it at Harry. He looks at her with an eye brow raised.

"You're welcome darling," she says wit-fully before returning to the movie.

They both watched the film in silence. Eliza is intensely engaged in the film but Harry just passively watches it, not knowing half of what's going on. His eyes glance from her to the screen every seconds. He smirks as she laughs at the cringe movie. He loved her laugh.

His gaze lingers for a few seconds but she turns to him as she feels a pair of eyes on her.

"What?" She furrows her brows.

"Nothing. Actually is it alright if I get a head start on writing? I have a new idea and I can't wait-," he mentions before Eliza cuts him off.

"You don't have to ask. Go! I'll just watch this very cringey, unfunny movie alone," she says sarcastically. He loved how she was always sarcastic but she was also stubborn and used both to always get her way. Harry could never compete with her but he didn't care.

"I'll make it up to you soon Ellie, you're leaving in two weeks so I'll be sure to make them the best ever darling," he says wrapping his arms around her tighter and giving her a hug.

"Alright go!" She says pushing him away.

Harry enters his small studio room just down the hall from the movie room. The idea for the new song was in his head all day but he couldn't get the chance to write it down. He takes out his black leather notebook and starts scribbling his ideas down.