05: Anastasia

"Where are you going?" Alex asked questionably. She always had a gift of telling when someone was lying. Also, I knew that telling her the truth would cause her to try and talk me out of it. So, with all of that in mind, I plastered a fake smile on my face as I leaned down to kiss her on top of her head.

"I have a job interview today," I told her. Alex nodded her head slowly just as I was beginning to pull away. What she didn't know was that I was wearing a lacy pink lingerie that Janice had let me have since it was too small for her to ever wear.

"Why are you getting a different job? I thought you liked working at the diner. Lord knows I miss the food you used to always bring home," She said, laughing slightly. I looked down at her and I tried to hide the sadness in my eyes. As much as she tried to hide it, she looked drained.

"I want a second job," I muttered honestly.

"What? I thought you were going to go back to school and work on a degree. I hope you are not getting a second job because of me, Nana. I promise that as soon as I am done and out of here, I will help pay for everything. I'm tired of you having to sacrifice so much for mum and I," Alex told me. Her eyes were blinking for longer periods of time. I knew that she was drifting off to sleep.

"Go to sleep, Alex. I'll be back," I told her. She was nodding her head slowly. I gave her one last sad smile before walking out of the hospital room. The doctor was talking to a family, but then he momentarily made eye contact with me. It looked as though he had something to say, but he was forced to turn his eyes back to the couple.

I walked right out of the hospital as hurriedly as possible before getting into my car.

-

My eyes were on the girl I presumed I had been on the phone with. I could tell by the way she was looking at me. It was as if she knew exactly who I was even though I was sure we had never met.

Looking around the dimly lit club, it wasn't packed with many people. There was a girl dancing on the pole in nothing but a pair of panties. As I looked around, I noticed all eyes on her, or they were bust throwing back a drink.

The entire vibe for it being a club at noon on a Monday wasn't bad. It felt more loosened than anything.

I turned back towards the bartender girl. She had her black hair up in a high ponytail and lips painted in red lipstick. I watched as she began to walk towards me.

"Anastasia?" She questioned, a smirk booming on her face as she gave my body a once-over. My eyes watched as she nodded her head in acceptance.

"I am assuming that you are the woman I spoke to on the phone," I confidently replied.

"Yes, the name's Kayla. Walk with me, I'll be taking you to the employment director," she had declared. Kayla didn't even provide me the chance to say anything as she turned around and began to walk me in a direction that led to the back of some stage.

I strolled in right behind her just before an automatic door could close. The hallways seemed to last forever. It took a good couple of minutes before we finally made it to a door. She twisted the doorknob and opened it up.

"V.V., we have a new girl," Kayle spoke. I stepped into the room a little more to see a man with chestnut blonde hair. He was wearing a white suit and was seated inside of a large room on the couch. I glanced up towards the stripper pole and could feel my heart sink in at the realization that I am actually going to do this.

"Okay, Kayla, you may leave," he suggested. She sent a small smile my way, whispering the light sound of a 'good luck'. I gazed at her until the door had shut leaving us inside of a room all by ourselves. He was smoking a big cigar, nevertheless leaning back in his seat.