Oblivion

Hello, tis me. I've been busy lately with homeschool stuff and such and have an AP exam in two weeks, so yeah, I've been studying for that, but in my free time I've been working on some short stories and art. So I've created a book here just for my short stories, so enjoy : )

      Her grip on sanity was slowly slipping from her grasp. Why was this still happening? Every day, the same thing. No one ever remembered. Except her, she always did. It was always the same, the same story repeating over and over again without anyone knowing. Except her and him.

      She would never admit to the ability of forgetting to be the best gift of all; a gift that would not bring you to salvation, but would ease the pain of not being able to do anything about it.

      She had tried, she had tried so hard at first. Many of them had come, many gone forever. Good or bad, at the end she would always be back where she started. At the beginning, looking at the same starless sky.

      Again

      It wasn't really like her to be emotional, but she was tired. Tired of everything. Tired of pain, love, she was done. But she was essential to her world. This world of chaos, destruction, and oblivion needed her. Because she remembered. She was the only one, besides him.

      She was not in control anymore. It was like every day was a fight for her life to get some self-control, but when they've forgotten who she was, and what had happened.... it just felt, it just felt...

      Wrong.

      Everything was wrong. That was the problem. Nothing was right in this wretched world stuck in a loop. Suddenly, a small sound snapped her out of her thoughts.

      She listened. The world was silent, as if holding its breath along with her as she waited, waited to be certain, to be sure. She knew she had heard it, but the sound seemed to be in her imagination, as there was nothing. She shook her head and continued walking through the empty, quiet place she once called home, her red scarf dragging through the bitter snow. She was truly alone now. She laughed, and anyone listening would have thought it quite an unsettling sound, but there was no one.

      But nobody came.

      There was nothing, no one left. Tired of the deafening silence, she started to hum a tune to ease her loneliness, the only problem being that it made her feel more empty and alone. She could reset everything, but the same thing would happen again, unless she could stop it; But she couldn't. That was the curse of resetting: everything went wrong. No matter how many times she would reset to try and fix it, she would only make it worse, so why bother. If she were to leave, would anyone miss her? Was there anyone left to miss her? No; they were all dead. As she walked through the town, trudging through the thick snow, she decided to take a walk down memory lane.

      Him.

      It was all his fault. As she stood knee deep in the snow, her most recent memories were waiting for her. They always were.

      "Y-you, you killed them, didn't you? You killed them all!" Her voice rang in her ears as she remembered each and every detail of her encounter with him. They were both guilty of murder and she knew it; they both did. She looked at her now red stained hands as she felt warm tears run down her pale cheeks. That memory was more painful to recall than the others.

      "All for what? What did you expect to gain when covered in their blood stains?" Familiar faces clouded her vision as she remembered those she once loved, now gone. "You killed them all..." she stated quietly, her trembling hands curling into fists. "So, why does that make me the bad guy?" He had laughed at that, his voice dark and humourless.

      "You've always been the bad guy, you humans, and always will be. You murder, steal and lie, but at what cost? Petty things like fame, jealousy, love...must I go on?" He explained with a sadistic smile, playing with the knife in his hand. He was human just like her, but he hated humanity and swore he was not of them. She immediately felt guilt at what she'd done, but despite this, she still smiled. It was a bittersweet smile as she felt hot tears stinging her eyes, threatening to fall. Her long scarf the same crimson colour as the blood that had been shed.

"I'm ending this. I can't let this go on any longer. Your psychopathic killing spree is over. I'm doing it. I'm resetting this wretched world." A moment of fear flashed over his face at her words. She felt bad as he's been through so many of her countless resets. She felt cruel and evil, but sometimes to do some good you've got to be the bad guy. She was doing this for him, the man he used to be. The man she used to love.

      She snapped out of her memories as she looked around, snow covering up the blood that was shed. She couldn't bring herself to reset. Not again. So, she hadn't. It was only a matter of time before she did, though. It always was. Despite what he had done, what she had done, she still loved him. Pathetic, wasn't it? She smiled at the thought before seeing the glowing button shining in the snow. The button she hated so much; its glowing light pulsing. It was almost as if it were taunting her. It wanted her to press it. She was drawn towards the light and her arm stretched out, fingers barely brushing over the light, but memories came crashing into her like a tidal wave, knocking her to the ground, her vision stained red from all the blood she had shed. 

      'I'm sorry...'

        Her voice was quiet, barely above a whisper. She couldn't stand it. She couldn't reset. It would kill him, It would kill her. Tragic as it was, she still loved him, but she couldn't live like this either. All of the tears she couldn't dry, running down her face mingling with the blood on her hands. She knew he would never hear her thoughts, so just this once, she let it slip. She didn't know if he would hear or not, but she didn't care. she knew how to end this.

      "I'm sorry." her voice was shaky, and barely audible, but she needed to get it out. "I love you." Her tears were more abundant after that little confession, soaking everything in her pain and loss. She was wrong and so naive, but she didn't want to see it. she refused to see it, but now she embraced it like an old friend. She smiled. She can't return again: She can't go back home. Hurting everyday, living a life she couldn't save. A lie. Her heart was slowly dying; everything and everyone she had loved was gone.

      She must've looked pathetic to any bystanders; a young girl sitting in the snow, bloody hands as red as her scarf, tears soaking anything it touched, living with guilt. So much guilt. She couldn't forget them, she mustn't. She must hold on, somehow, but her grip was slipping. With no one left around and denying joy, she pulled out a leather bound notebook and began writing the story of the girl whose life she couldn't save. 

      'If this is wrong and so naive, then let me be wrong and so naive.' 

      The ink flowed down into a dark puddle as she wanted to move her hand, but both pen and hand were frozen above the page leaving her to just make out the short words she had written as she dropped the notebook and pen in the snow. 

     If she herself were to leave, it would be better. There would be no more resets and the world wouldn't be in a continuous loop anymore. She walked to the nearest tree, seeing there was a rope already raggedly hanging on it. multiple apologies flooded through her head as she took the rope and started climbing up to the branch it was tied on, hot tears streaming down her face.

      She then tied the rope crudely around her neck, putting out her arms and fell backwards off the limb. It felt like an eternity before her body became limp, her crimson scarf flowing in the breeze cradling her lifeless form.

      'Goodbye' were the last words she had muttered before she had taken her fall.

1448 words..... WOOOO that's a new record. Im not really sure why I wrote it, but nevertheless, I'm pretty proud of myself for sticking with this particular story, which I've been working on since school kinda just... stopped.. heh. Anyways, good morning, night, or whenever you happen to be reading this.... : )