Raining, Pouring

Black and White, Day and Night, it's all a faded blur. The sky was dull grey above me, staining my world with its hues. I didn't know if I want this to end. There was something familiar about this new reality that comforted me. I didn't want the morning to move again.

      Not ever again.

      I had clear memories of bitter wind and rainy skies. It seemed as if things were repeating. Every face, every smile, everything seen before. We follow the paths of those long forgotten, forgetting just how worn these paths are. I was thinking to hard again as the raindrops hit my umbrella and rolled off, much like my tears streaming down my face. These storms never seem to dissipate no matter what. Comfort is only temporary, for as soon as I step outside again, the storms hit. I've been lost in the dark, damp weather for as long as I can remember.

      I let out a small sigh. The rain hasn't eased up a bit. I've been told there's sunshine but I've never witnessed it. What's it feel like? What's it like in a world without cold, dark days and nights?

      The raindrops were like knives now, piercing, slashing any bit of me they could get to. I let out an agonizing scream, dropping my crimson umbrella among the puddles. The world seemed subdued and grey in comparison to what I've been told. Where's the warm weather that was forecasted this morning? What's the point in even wishing anymore? Time never stops and waits for us to put ourselves back together. The rain was still pounding as I paused, letting it soak through my clothes, making my tears seem like they were never there. I welcomed the pain, acknowledging it.

      Was all this wishing for naught? I can feel myself slipping. Thoughts run through my brain, my feelings started to rot, here in the rain. 'Give it one more day,' I say to myself, 'Give it one more year.' A thousand yesterdays have come and gone, leaving me here, in the unforgiving storm. I try to calm down and clear my head, letting the cold water soak my hair, making it stick to my forehead. I'll wait here in the damp silence until the storm passes. I want to let it all go. I pick up my umbrella and continue on.

      I'll wait for your return here in the endless void of feelings I've created.