Chapter 4: Mother and Daughter

Dinah Lacroix walked up to her front door wondering what on earth that song was that was stuck in her head.

She could practically hum the entire chorus but for the life of her she couldn't remember the title.

"da-dah-da-da-da-da-some-thing-some-thing-bleh. Ta-teir-ba-bo-babang- something something, for goodness sakes what is that song?"

She took her briefcase and the bag containing supper and inserted the keys into the door. She had a long day scheduling briefings at the law office and had to settle for another night of take out. She hoped her cooking skills weren't going to pot with all this.

"Maggie! I'm-!" She hollered.

But she didn't need to call her daughter. Or go very far to find her. Right in the middle of the front door where two massive sneakers. A little beyond that were a pair of jeans wrapped around a chair (torn in half from the look of them)

To the left of the chair was a backpack, and then a jacket. Ms Lacroix followed this little trail of odds and ends to the living room to find her daughter sprawled out across the couch watching TV with no pants on.

"Hey." Was her daughters reply.

Dinah shut her eyes. "I can't wait until this phase is over." But out loud she said, "What happened to your pants?"

"A dog ripped them up. I had to tape them shut but then I couldn't get them off for gym so I did what I had to do."

"How was school?"

"Sucked."

Mother and daughter stood awkwardly in the living room. Things had settled down since the divorce but they still had trouble talking to each other.

"Honey do you know this tune?" She hummed the song that had been stuck in her head.

"Paint it black by the Rolling Stones."

"I've never heard of it."

"Then why is it in your head?" Maggie asked as she flipped the channel.

"I guess I heard it on the radio. Anyway, Have you eaten?"

"Yeah I had a couple slices of pizza." 

"Where?" Her mother asked

"At school. I was helping some theatre kids put costumes away."

Dinah's eyes went wide. Maggie had never been interested in after school activities. "So I guess your not hungry then?"

Maggie perked up at the rustling of the bag. "What is it?"

"Chinese."

Maggie turned the TV off. "I could go for some chow mien. Just half a plate though."

The bottomless pit went into the kitchen were Dinah was able to gleam more information out of her daughter.

Mothers always know the secret to getting their kids to talk. In Maggies case the trick was not to ask any yes or no questions. Phrase the question so that Maggie had no choice but to elaborate.

Also, keep pestering Maggie until she realizes the easiest way to get rid of mom is to just tell the whole truth and nothing but.

"So who were these theatre kids?"

"I don't know! Drama geeks. I don't hang out with them." Maggie grumbled as she tried to eat.

"What made you help them out?"

"....No reason...Felt like it..."

"But how did you even hear about this?" Dinah pried

"I saw a kid carrying boxes and I...decided to help him out."

"A boy?" You could practically hear the restrained jubilation in Dinahs voice.

"Yeah, I guess." Maggie took another forkful of noodles. "It was no big deal."

"But it was important enough for you to go help him out." Dinah thought to herself. 

"Anyway I've got this stupid homework assignment I have to do tonight."

"Uh huh." Dinah noted that Maggie never talked about her homework voluntarily, meaning Mom had just found something sensitive enough to warrant a change of topic.

Maggie described her dream homework project and Dinah tried to offer advice but Maggie had gone back to monosyllabic answers.

The conversation had run its course.

"I'm going up to my room."

"Okay honey. See you tomorrow."

Maggie left the room and Dinah was once again by herself.

Dinah hated being alone. When she was young she was always looking for people to hang out with. She would party with friends. Go for drives into the country. She was constantly sneaking out of the house and getting into all kinds of shenanigans. She missed those days.

This introvert stuff her daughter was going through was beyond her understanding. Why be so glum when you could hang out with friends? If Dinah heard the theatre club was moving some boxes she'd hurry over there to see what was going on because it would be a chance to meet new people.

But now Dinah didn't have time to go networking with other people. Her husbands departure had forced her to go back to work in order to pay the bills.

"Lets have another try at that sink." It was something to occupy the silence at least.

................

Maggie tossed and turned in bed. Today had been an unusually bad day and all she could think about was that there were still three more days of the week left.

Then after that, thirty two more months of school before she graduated. 

Then she'd have to worry about what to do with the rest of her life.

Then fill the many remaining years of life until her body finally quit and she died cold and alone in some hospital bed somewhere.

Was this life?

Was this all there is?

Just one...big....freak show.......

.....

To be continued