four.

Walking into each of their rooms, I kissed them goodnight

Walking into each of their rooms, I kissed them goodnight. Serena fell asleep instantly, but Ella wouldn't let go.

"Please come back daddy?" She said. I sighed.

"I will try darling, go to sleep." With that she let go of me. As I walked out of the doorway, she called after me.

"I love you daddy." I turned and looked at her. Her eyes were closed.

"I love you too."

Closing the door, I stood there and sighed. Is this what has become of my family? I heard a sigh and saw Hermione standing there. She had a sad glint in her eyes.

"I'm sorry." I said quietly. She turned and walked down the stairs. I followed her.

Going to the front door, I grabbed my cloak and walked out. Hermione followed me out, closing the door behind her.

"Thank you, Severus." She said quietly, looking at her feet.
"No, thank you." I said. She looked at me and smirked. I walked up to her and wrapped my arms around her. "Merry Christmas." I said. She wrapped her arms around me and began to cry.

"I'm sorry." She choked out. I held her tightly. It began to snow as we stood there.

"No, you shouldn't be sorry, I should be." I said, running my hands through her hair. It had lost its bounce.

"It's just, I hate to see the girls like this. I hate not seeing you, I just, hate, hate, hate what has happened!" She cried into my chest. My heart was aching. I wanted to kiss her and tell her everything was okay, that I would make it better.

"I'm going to try harder, i swear." I said in a whisper. Making a promise to not only her, but to myself. She pulled away from me and looked up. Her eyes gleaming with tears. She chuckled.

"What?"

"I guess Christmas wants to be special for us." I frowned. She rolled her eyes. "The girls charmed mistletoe to be around the house." She said blushing, pointing above our heads. There was mistletoe, how peculiar.

"Are we keeping Christmas Tradition?" She smirked and looked me in the eyes.

"Just this once." She said. Smiling, I leaned in and placed a soft kiss upon her lips. A kiss that was long overdue. Surprisingly, she kissed me back, wrapping her arms around my neck as I circled mine around her waist. She deepened the kiss a little, a kiss of desperation and need. I wanted to hold her, to be able to wake up to her beautiful face every morning. To be able to kiss her, but right now, was a milestone I would hold forever.

Pulling away, I rested my forehead against hers.

"This doesn't mean you get to sleep here tonight." She said with a chuckle. I smirked.

"Not even the couch?" She laughed, pulling away from here.

"Get outta here, 'bat if the dungeons'." She said with a smirk.

"Farewell, 'insufferable know it all'." I said with a laugh. She walked to the front of the door, opening it slowly, she turned around.

"Good night, Severus."

"Good Night Hermione, merry Christmas." And with that, I walked out of the front yard and down the street.

A new optimism hit me. Maybe I will get my Christmas wish after all; A second chance.