00:12

Clementine ran her brush through her hair, the avalanche of golden locks tumbling down her back. It was one of her favourite features, it brought warmth to her otherwise pale face. It was the essence of summer, and when she tilted her chin it moved with the motion like liquid gold.

Clementine hitched up her skirt, the plaid fabric sliding smoothly across her thighs. Her stomach churned with nervousness, and she clutched the straps of her school bag, the hard fabric chafing the skin of her palm.

Thinking of sitting with Amber and her friends quickened her heart rate, so she set that thought aside. She often cursed her own bullheadedness, how she somehow ended up in these ridiculous situation, where she could only truly blame herself. She knew nothing good would come from forming a friendship with Amber, and yet she was in too deep to back out. She supposed it was a matter of pride.

It was only when Clementine had reached her Physics class did she remember that she had no place to sit for the period. She used to sit with Aaron, but she assumed that he would rather have anyone else sit next to him than her.

Her shoes clicked on the floor as she slipped through the horde of students rushing to their classes. She reached her room ten minutes before class would start, so that she would be able to reach her seat first. The room wasn't empty, and multiple students were already in their seats.

Aaron wasn't in class yet, so she decided to sit in her normal spot.

She waited patiently yet nervously, twirling her pen through her fingers and tapping her heeled shoe on the floor. the clock ticked, and her teacher had arrived, apologising profusely for his tardiness. Aaron had still not arrived.

Clementine let out a breath. It was for the best that he hadn't come. Just as she had begun to relax in her seat, the door swung open.

The class went silent as Aaron walked in, casting a bored look around the class. his gaze stopped on her, turning absolutely murderous. There was something about him that was so mean.

"You're late, Mr Fransisco." Her teacher said disapprovingly. "Don't let it happen again."

Aaron said nothing to her, instead walking to his seat. Clementine felt as if she was walking to her own execution, up to the chopping block.

"Move," he said quietly.

"What?" There was no heat in her voice, simply confusion and a growing sense of fear.

"I said move. Don't sit next to me."

She watched with wide eyes as he stood there, his mouth set in a rigid line, stewing in irritation and fury.

"I'm not moving," she said slowly, her own cheeks flushed red.

"What's happening at the back?" The teacher called out.

"Nothing," Clementine said, folding her arms and leaning back in her chair.

"Tell her to move," Aaron ordered, receiving the class's attention.

Her stomach dropped. Was he really going to do this? She grit her teeth and narrowed her eyes. Their nervous and fearful gazes simply spurred Clementines urge to irritate him.

"Are you serious?" She snapped. "You're going to have to drag me out of my seat because i'm not moving."

He would not put a hand on her or argue with his fists, but his words packed a powerful punch.