4. By Chance

In Shadows

Chapter Four

By Chance

When Gina arrived at school the next day, she didn't stop by her class first. Instead, she headed to the office and requested a list of clubs. Though surprised, she was given a list. After thanking the staff there, Gina walked off, eyes scanning the list of clubs avaliable.

Art club... that would be handy if I was artistically skilled. Orchestra club... I've never touched an instrument in my life. Literature club... hmm, that might be a possibility.

Track team...

She paused.

Track team, huh? Gina's eyes lingered over the club. She pursed her lips slightly. She didn't look it, but she was quite fit. She'd done reasonably well at athletics carnivals, and due to the nature of netball, with quick spurts of speeds, she'd been a fair sprinter. And since coming back to Japan, she'd ensured to go on regular jogs to keep her fitness levels up. Just because she didn't okay a sport anymore during Jean she wanted to become unhealthy.

Maybe, she should give it a go?

Well, she didn't have to decide right now. There was no limit as to when you could join a club. It didn't have to be a split decision: she could think it over...

"Gina!" A sudden voice caught her attention. She knew who it belonged to instantly.

Saki spoke between gasps for breath - she must have run. "I called you yesterday!" she said, drawing closer with every word. "Why didn't you respond?"

Gina looked up from the sheet of paper that contained the list of clubs and turned toward the voice of her friend. She smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, Saki. I was catching up with an old friend. And... my phone ran out of battery."

That last part was true... to some extent. Her phone had run out of battery, once she'd gotten home... She didn't mention she'd put it on silent last night, while eating with Kuroko. She hadn't wanted to come across as rude.

However, Saki bought it. She huffed, and folded her arms across her chest. "Jeez. You're so caught up in your music and your books that you don't pay attention to your battery life! What if there was an emergency and you couldn't find out because you hadn't paid attention to your battery?"

Gina raised her eyebrows. "You're one to talk. You keep dropping your phone. How many phones have you already ruined this year?"

"Hey, I've been more careful as of late! Mum says this is the last phone she's buying me for the next year, and I don't want to have to deal with a cracked screen for a year!"

Gina sighed, facepalming. "You're going to go broke when you live on your own, you know."

"I'll be responsible by then."

"I'm sorry, Saki, but I don't believe that's possible for you."

"Ah, that's mean!" Saki glared at her friend.

Gina raised her hands. "But it's true." She quickly looked over the large black bag Gima knew contained Saki's cello. "So you're going to practice today?"

Saki glanced back at the instrument strapped to her back and nodded. "Yeah. We've got a concert performance coming up in a few weeks, as Asumi informed me this morning." She sighed, and rubbed at her eyes. "I'm going to be chewed out for missing practice the other day."

"As you should be!" Gina declared, folding her arms. "I should've forced you to go."

"Then why didn't you?"