16. Faces Old and New

In Shadows
Chapter Sixteen
Faces Old and New

Gina was only on the sidelines, but even she thought that the training camp was a difficult one.

The coach for the camp was none other than Riko's own father, who had once played basketball for Japan. It had only been a week since Seirin had arrived, but they were being pushed hard. On weekends they increased their stamina by running through the mountains, and on weekdays they worked on their individual skills. Hyuga, Izuki and Kiyoshi were all working on new individual skills to put to use in matches. Riko's father had even pulled Kuroko aside to talk to him about something. Gina had asked him what it was about later, but he'd only shaken his head. But Kuroko had looked determined and focused, so Gina guessed it couldn't be anything too bad. 

A week after they started the training camp, Gina found herself on the sidelines, watching a quick half-court match. Hyuga was practicing the new move Riko's father had taught him - a move dubbed the barrier jumper, involving a quick step back before 

"Hey, Gina!" Riko called. The coach's voice dragged Gina's attention away from the game.

Gina's head snapped up as the coach came to a stop. "What's up?" 

Riko smiled apologetically. "Do you mind popping down to the shops for a bit and buying a few sports drinks?  These lot are going to need it, and we've run out." The coach flicked a thumb over at the teamg. Even from where she could, Gina could see the beads of sweat shining on their foreheads and soaking their shirts, and hear their heavy breathing.

She recalled all too well practices like this one; she'd done training like this when she had been a part of the regional team. There would be times where where you'd feel so exhausted you'd be sure that you wouldn't be able to finish the session, but you had to keep going or the coach would only make you run extra laps or give you some other form of extra practice as a result.

Even though she loved netball, she certainly didn't miss those days. She enjoyed waking up each day knowing that she didn't have to deal with sore muscles from hard training the night before.

"Of course. More than happy to help out." And Gina was actually glad that she was doing this - the last few days, she'd mostly been standing around and watching, or offering moral support. Doing this small little errand made she felt as though she was actually doing something for the team.

"Thank you," Riko said appreciatively. She grabbed Gina's hand and turned it so her palm faced up, then placed an amount of money there. "It wouldn't be fair if I asked for you to pay for these out of your own money."

Gina pocketed the money and smiled. "Alright. I'll be back as soon as I can." With a small wave, she hurried off.

The nearest store was about a ten minute walk away. Gina placed her hands in her pockets to protect them from the biting cold. She wished she'd had the foresight to wear a scarf that day - the wind found every gap in her clothing, and she could feel the cold going down her neck. Gina increased her pace to warm herself up a little, and to get out of the cold just that little bit quicker.

When she reached the store, she could've melted on the spot. It wasn't too much warmer inside, but keeping out of the wind was a blessing. Gina allowed herself a few minutes to enjoy the warmth before she proceeded with her mission.

The sports drinks were easy enough to find. Gina pursed her lips, considering how many to buy. There were ten people to buy for, and considering how intense training was, they might want more than one. There'd be training again tomorrow, anyway, and the day after... Gina pursed her lips. Maybe four boxes will suffice, at least for now?