Chapter Three: Wanting Bad and Getting Tempted

Chapter Three:

Wanting Bad and Getting Tempted

*          *          *

          The following morning I wake up to a buzzing phone, and a man who is not Adam Levine.

It's Jace. His phone is under the pillow he's lying on, and he's clearly so hungover he can't feel it. But I can. I slightly nudge his shoulder, but he doesn't budge and at this point the buzzing noise is becoming irritating. I nudge him again, this time harder and still get no reaction from him. So I do the only other option I have left: I shove him off the bed and watch him roll onto the floor, taking the bed sheets down with him. I hear him groan, and grunt. Oops.

I could've just continued on nudging him, but what's the fun in that? "You're phone is buzzing." I tell him. "Hopefully it's your fiancé. Telling you to go home." I wonder where she thinks he's at right now because I highly doubt it's here in his ex's bed.

Jace scratches his head, struggling to keep his eyes open as he searches for his phone. I watch him fumble his hand around the bed and when he finally finds it, he picks up without looking at who it is.

"Hello?" His voice is husky, like he just woke up. I don't have to hear the voice on the other end to know who it is because as soon as his eyes widen, I know immediately that it is in fact his fiancé. "Alison. I—I..." he struggles to form words, perhaps an explanation to where he's been all night. "I was at the bar last night, got too wasted and ended up crashing in my car honey." He lies, and right in that instant I wish I could yell into the phone, "Lies!" but I know better than that. I know to keep to myself now. "I—I'll be home soon, okay?"

The line goes dead, and Jace just stares at his phone, and then at me. I don't think I've ever hated someone as much as I hate him. He is disgusting, and an asshole. And hopefully all the things he said yesterday were just bullshit because he was drunk. His confused expression turns into an angry one as his brows curve downwards, and his jaw slightly clenches.

I don't know what's about to happen now.

My heartbeat picks up, and apparently so does his because we're both breathing fast a bit too fast. As if we've finished running a ten mile race or something. "Kasey?" he groans glaring straight at me. "Ah, no! What the fuck happened?" he asks rubbing his eyes.

I hold onto my forearm, forcing my gaze away from him because he's frightening me. All the other times Jace ended up getting mad never ended well. "Well, for one, you got me fired." I steal a quick glance at his face to see if he cares, but of course, no remorse there. He just continues looking at me as if what I said doesn't shock him. "Then you showed up here claiming this was still your place, you kicked my neighbor out—"

"What neighbor?" He spits.

I'm a little hesitant to say his name, but I do. "Dean." I say, and his immediate reaction is to scoff. "Then you made me run you a warm bath and made me get in with you. We... Um, we... didn't do anything, I didn't let you. And then you passed out in the bed." Hopefully with me being honest about everything, he'll just leave and never come back. "You were drunk."

Jace gets up from the floor and immediately starts sliding back into his clothes. "We have to talk about this." He says and immediately my eyebrows knit together in confusion. His movements are quick like he's in a rush to get out and he's shaking his head while buttoning up his shirt, wearing an unsatisfied look. "This wasn't supposed to happen this way..."

What does he mean by this? "What wasn't?"

He stops moving and stares at me for a second, studying me. For a small second his look softens as he stares at me and his lips are almost about to part until he stops himself. He moves his eyes away from me, and then his angry, confused expression returns. "We'll talk about it another day." As soon as he's done sliding on his shoes, he walks out of the bed room, storms past the living and opens the door. I follow him there and before he walks out he says, "I'll be back soon." And then closes it shut. Goose bumps run down my skin.