spice

if hao ting smelled like sweet cinnamon, he tasted like a spicier, warmer version of it. shi gu first discovered this, when he found himself thrown on the other's couch, said boy hovering above him. when they had kissed before, chaste pecks on flushed lips, it was too short to notice any flavor. now the taller was leaning down, voice hoarse as he muttered: "i'm very serious... i really want to kiss you right now." he had waited for shi gu's consent, but the boy a decided to take it a step further. it was his first time initiating something and his way of finally admitting to reciprocating hao ting's feelings.

kissing him, kissing him this intensely, had been a lot, but not too much, maybe not even enough. drinking in the other's taste, hands curiously wandering over the taller's body, still a bit careful. both of their breathing was heavy with anticipation, shi gu couldn't detach his eyes from his lover, looking like this. gorgeous, dark eyes, a little bit widened in surprise of how willingly the smaller was giving in. shi gu's fingers trembled while he unbuttoned the taller boy's shirt. their lips met again, a little clumsy in the rush, but not any less beautiful. he tried sucking in hao ting's bottom lip, melting at his lover's cooperation. as the other's hands carefully roamed his body, exploring his features and every curve of his body with fingertips as light as feathers, shi gu understood that he was never going to be able to stop himself from falling, from melting under hao ting's gentle touch.

later as he laid in bed, body numb and mind blank from the way things had turned around only a few minutes later, the burning remains of cinnamon and spice kept him awake. still being able to taste the other on his tongue, there was no way that he could fall asleep. the following weeks it was nearly impossible to get intimate enough to try and refresh his memory of hao ting's taste, due to having made an arrangement with the taller's parents. now their first priority was to get hao ting into a top college. as much as he wanted and as much as his still unofficial boyfriend tried to get close to him, obviously wanting it too, they had to focus on studying now. 

nevertheless, it was getting more and more difficult to stay away from one another when they had to. texting was making it easier, that was another thing shi gu would never fully be able to show his gratitude for. without missing a beat, hao ting had immediately found a way for them to stay in contact, making his yearning for the taller a little more bearable. they texted almost every minute of the day and their calls lasted until their battery ran out. 

now that they had found this arrangement, they could meet again, but having to restrain themselves from actually being together was almost more painful than not seeing each other at all.  one exception was made when hao ting came to his room on shi gu's eighteenth birthday. he had this whole ridiculous concept of wrapping himself and places into fairy lights, so that shi gu could always look at something that resembled the stars when they were together, and the smaller was ridiculously touched by it. hsiang  hao ting was his own, personal firefly, brightening shi gu's life a whole lot. the cake tasted sweeter on his lover's tongue and was one flavor added to yu shi gu's list of favorites. they only made out a little bit that night, not taking it too far, but shi gu treasured that memory like none other. when he looked back on the pictures hao ting had sent him before the morning arrived, he could still recall the faint trace of hazelnut and cinnamon the taller had left in his mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's getting steamy, y'all |⁰⊖⁰)