Tafseer Sûrah Al-Kahf: Lesson 7

🌻The most severe fitnah is the fitnah of knowledge for it’s danger that can affect one’s deen and âkhirah; and any one of those who have knowledge can fall into it.

🌻Musâ, one of the greatest of the messengers, wasn't safe from the fitnah of knowledge, so one cannot think himself safe from it.

🌻It is a serious error to attribute knowledge to oneself; knowledge is from Allâh and should be attributed to Him.

🌻It is from the etiquette of the seeker of knowledge to travel to those he hears of who have greater knowledge than him.

🌻The prophets and the people of knowledge always had a servant to assist them in their needs.

🌻The seeker of knowledge should be patient and persistent in the path of seeking knowledge and enduring its trials.

🌻In the past, a seeker of knowledge would have to travel for months on a donkey or on foot for just one piece of knowledge; today, travel is made easy and knowledge is accessible from anywhere because of the internet.

🌻Of the people of knowledge were those who would not remove themselves from their books except to join the congregational prayer; this is the example of a truly sincere seeker of knowledge.

🌻It is from the etiquette of the believer to be forgiving for mistakes, especially of those beneath him; many men of today take out their frustration on their wives and children for small mistakes.

🌻Musâ is higher in status than Khidhr, but Allâh singled Khidhr out for knowledge that was not given to Musâ.

🌻It is of the etiquette to be silent in the presence of one who has more knowledge to observe, listen, learn, and benefit.

🌻It is not correct etiquette to ask too many questions and doubts of one who has greater knowledge; talking and asking too many questions rather than listening may prevent knowledge from reaching the seeker.

🌻When asking Allâh, ask for beneficial knowledge.

🌻Knowledge is of three types: knowledge that was gained without seeking Allâh’s blessing or relying on Him, knowledge that is pursued with tawwakul and the intention do it for Allâh’s sake, and knowledge of the deen pursued with the intention of knowing Allâh; the first will have no benefit and will have no share in the âkhirah, the second is beneficial knowledge that will be blessed; and the third is the greatest in status.

🌻The best knowledge is the one Allâh has gifted his servant with, as in the case of Khidhr; it is placed in the heart and cannot be learned in the classroom or from books.

🌻Humility is the etiquette of one who has lesser knowledge.

🌻Knowledge raises the status of the one who has it.

🌻The student of knowledge should not ask until the teacher allows.

🌻It is the responsibility and etiquette of the believer to speak out against evil and sin.

🌻The teacher should not leave the student in doubt or ignorance on matters that are unclear.

(Lessons from Tafseer Sûrah Al-Kahf, taught by Dr. ’Isâm ibn Sâlih Al’Uwayd)